Thursday, April 22, 2010

A card for a special friend

Is there someone in your life that you enjoy spending time with?  Do you have someone who shares some of your same interests and knows you well?  I hope so.  It is so rewarding to have a friend - especially a friend you've known for a long time.  I am so blessed to have such a friend in Karen.  We met 13 years ago in a BSF study of Romans.  We were both new christians who hadn't studied the bible much.  Our class had 15 people but we made a connection early.   We wound up in the same BSF group for the next 3 years.  Both of us finished the 7 years of BSF, but often in different groups, but our connection was always there.  Interestingly we both repeated the Romans study.  After BSF ended, I lost touch with many of my BSF friends, but when my daughter headed off to college, I was ready for a new hobby.  I remembered that Karen talked about scrapbooking and card making so I rummaged around and found her phone number and gave her a call.  We probably hadn't spoken in 2 years and we were both excited to catch up.  Karen was happy to hear from me since she had been praying for inspiration in her card making business and saw my call (out of the blue) as an answer to prayer.   From that point on we became card making soul mates and rekindled our relationship.  We have been able to get together almost monthly and make cards together (or some days we have great intentions to make cards but instead just talk!)  Karen's birthday is next week and we got together yesterday.  I made this card for her.  Do you like it?  It is the Nasturtiums set from Flourishes.  I know these as bright orange - red flowers from a batch of them my mom planted in my garden a few years ago.  I made the flowers shimmer with some frost white pearl paint, but if I were to make it again, I would put a light dusting of shimmer over the whole thing.  I did the image in versamark clear and then colored over with copics.    I cut out a few flowers to give it dimension and the base mat is crushed curry and the first mat is dusty durango.  The sentiment is Amuse.  Thanks for looking!  Be sure to tell your special friend how much they mean to you.  Karen - your friendship means a lot to me.  I so enjoy your company and you are a very talented artist.  Thanks for teaching me and being a good friend!  Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

krs__21 said...

Linda, I am so touched! You are a truly great friend and such an inspiration to me!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a beautiful story and card Linda! I love all of the orange! :D