Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Make it manly challenge FLLCMAY10

Are you having a good week?  I hope so.  Spring is in full bloom here and life is full and busy.  I am looking forward to spending some time with my female relatives this weekend at our annual Girls Weekend.  I took a few days off work so I have a 5 day weekend.  I leave Friday to meet my cousin before we head down and then I'll stay over with her again on Monday and drive home.  We are headed to the Jersey shore this year so it's a 6 hour drive.   I'm happy to split the trip up and I'm glad my cousin is right along the way 1/2 way there!  So, no posts from me for a bit, but the stampin supplies are coming along to the beach so watch for some inspired posts upon my return.

Today's post is a challenge from Flourishes.  This one was tough.  They wanted us to 'make it manly' but all my flourish stamps are fruits and flowers.  I didn't shy away though.  I figured my embellishments and colors could take any image and make it masculine, so I gave it my best shot.  I tried some new techniques with my copics on the image here.  I colored everything in and then I went over the whole image with a warm grey to give it a more distressed look.  I added a light blue to the non-strawberry images on the background to bring out the colors in the image.  Then I took some copic liquid and patted the whole thing with a cotton square.  I was trying to add texture, but what happened is the entire image smudged and blended to give it more of a watercolor effect.  That wasn't exactly what I was going for, but I think it works.  I matted it on baja breeze and then I added the grommet and some artichoke grosgrain ribbon.  I put that on top of papertrey ink green and then put that on top of a strip of Baja Breeze DSP (retired from a few years back.)  The next layer is ripped (nice masculine touch) on a deep grey from paper trey ink.  Then another layer of Baja Breeze DSP and the card is on a nice deep green from papertrey ink.

The sentiment is from a favorite stand by 'wonderful words' from Stampin Up.  This is done in old olive on the pti green.  Well off to see who gets voted off American Idol.  I'm hoping it's Casey's last week.  I want Lee to win and I want Mike & Crystal to make it in the final 3.  We'll know in an hour (unless they run over!)

2 comments:

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

Turned out great and glad you didn't shy away as you said. Your warm colors and the way you stamped your strawberries are nicely done!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This turned out beautifully Linda! That is such a terrific image! I hope that you had a wonderful time away! :D