Tuesday, May 25, 2010

With Sympathy - Batick Method

Is everyone having a good week so far?  I hope so.  I am grumpy today and am trying very hard to shake off my bad mood.  Don't you hate when a bad mood descends upon you for no good reason?  I am generally very cheerful so I find it especially annoying when the bad mood creeps in.  One wonderful thing about approaching menopause is that the bad moods creep in suddenly and more frequently.  Luckily they don't last long.  Part of my bad mood probably has to do with two late nights this week.  We are so happy that our Boston Celtics are in the playoffs, but between the finale of Lost Sunday and the Celtics overtime last night, we had two nights where #1 son stayed up too late.  Grumpy teenagers in the morning are a sure way to exasperate a hormone related bad mood.  Ah well, this too will pass.....Posting the card I made last night is a sure mood booster!

So on to my card.....  This was a new technique I am trying to perfect with watercolor paper, embossing and ink.  Here's how you do it.  You start with a nice watercolor paper and clear emboss your image.  For this card I used a new cat tail stamp that I got.  I don't know the stamp company name and the stamp didn't have a logo on it.    Then I heat set the clear embossing.  Next I dampened the rest of the paper with an aqua marker but you could easily use a wet sponge or spray mister.  I didn't get mine saturated, just damp.  Then I used a sponge on my stamp pads and pulled up some color onto the sponge and blended river rock, soft sky and baja breeze on and blended the colors together for a soft water color glow.  After the whole thing dried, I took two sheets of regular copy paper and sandwiched my embossed/colored image between them and ironed it with the image side face down.  The ironing removes the embossing so you have a mat image.  Iron on a medium high setting until you can see the image has pulled off onto the copy paper with a kind of waxy look.  It's okay to have some embossing remain, but I think it's nicest if the remaining image is mostly mat.  To finish it, I cut the image out, matted it on two layers of card stock (Not Quite Navy and River Rock) and then mounted it on a ribbon clad sheet of water color paper.  The card stock base is Baja Breeze and the sentiment is from Teeny Tiny Wishes in Not Quite Navy.

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is gorgeous Linda! These colors are just beautiful! I love this technique! I'm going to have to give it a try! Looking forward to next weekend! :D

Beth said...

This is a very calm, soothing card! Super technique and wonderful colors!