Friday, July 2, 2010

Bloggers Challenge Patriotic

Hello bloggers.  Are you all ready for the long weekend?   Here in New England we have PERFECT weather.  The thing about New England weather is that it isn't often nice, but when it's nice, it's really nice.    We are blessed with mid-70's temperatures during the day, mid 60's at night and beautiful sunshine all day long.  My husband and I have some fun plans that include lots of outdoor activities so I'm thrilled that the weather is nice.

So on to my card......  I was reminiscing about some childhood images in creating this card.  My sister and I both collected Madame Alexander dolls and one of us had the Betsy Ross doll.  When I was searching for images for my patriotic card I was inspired to make this My Favorite Things Easter Girl into a patriotic girl, reminiscent of my collected doll. 

This image also reminds me of my favorite childhood author - Joan Walsch Anglund.  My favorite book was a small illustrated book 'A friend is someone who likes you.'  Joan always illustrated children with only eyes and mouth.

And lastly, I was inspired by another favorite book of mine as a child - 'Ann Likes Red' by Dorothy Seymore.  In this classic (but simple story) Ann's mother takes her shopping for a new outfit.  Everything Ann picks out is red - red dress, red sox...  I couldn't help but think of her while I was coloring in my girl with red everything!


So, that is how this little patriot card was inspired. 

So, do you want to know how I made the card?  I started with some pti white paper inked up with momento black for my Easter Blessing Image from my favorite things.  I colored her in with copics and replaced the easter eggs in her basket with cut out stars.  I cut out 4 identical cloud squares and layered those on top of a mat layer of SU rose red and then put it all on top of an Amuse card of red gingham.  Using the computer I printed out a few lines of text in Americana font  (home of the free because of the brave) and cut them out and put them on the side.

Thanks so much for looking.  I hope you all have a safe and joyful holiday.

16 comments:

BarbaraW said...

Sweet, adorable card with a great background story.

Lisa Bohler said...

Wonderful story and I love how creative you were to make your Easter image a patriotic image! Happy 4th!

Lisa Somerville said...

How cute, wonderful coloring. Great story on how your card came together. Happy 4th!

Connie Babbert said...

Such a sweet little girl image and love her basket of stars! Great job!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Beautiful!

Ida said...

Super Cute! Love the Pure Innocence images and this one is so sweet. Really enjoyed reading about your inspiration for this card.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Sweet card- love the image you used and what wonderful inspiration for your card to bring it all together! Have a fun and safe 4th!

Lisa said...

I remember reading Ann Likes Red when I was younger! Loved it! And, I love your card...sweet image! Great card!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is darling Linda! I loved books by JWA when I was growing up too! (Still do...lol!) I used some A Muse gingham on my card today too! Great idea for the sentiment! Happy 4th of July! :D

Tiffany Bauer said...

What a sweet card and image!! Have a great holiday!!

Connie Paxman said...

thanks for sharing all your sentiments with us...I love this stuff..old books and dolls..
Now very innovative with your card too the three little stars in the basket.
connie paxman

Basement Stamper said...

great inspiration for this card and love how you put stars in her basket.

Barbara said...

What a cute little girl image...and you did an absolutely wonderful job coloring and shading (something I'm so not good at!). Terrific card!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Sure put a smile on my face this a.m., beautiufl card!

Margaret Raburn said...

What a sweet little girl image. I love how you've transformed her into a patriot! Great layout too!

tonistamps said...

Cute litte girl! Love the layout too.