Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sweet Pea Birthday Card


My older sisters birthday is next Tuesday and she is a big gardener and lover of the outdoors.  I wanted to make a special card for her that reflected her love of nature and flowers so I turned to my papertrey ink image 'sweet pea.'  I remember seeing Debbie Olson's beautiful cards with this image on the PTI sneak peaks so I dug back through my old blogs and found her posting from April.  I borrowed heavily from her card and the results are stunning (I think - YILM- to quote Jan Tink - fellow blogger and storyteller extraordinare!)  To give Debbie credit, I've included her images here so you can see how much I've copied from her!!

So here is how I made this one.  I started with a card base from Hero Arts.  They make pre-folded clear card bases that are really solid.  They come in 8 packs with envelopes.  Super easy (but not cheap!)  I stamped the sweet pea image on pti white with momento black and then colored in the image with peaches and olive greens.    I used my nestabilities and my cricut cuttlebug to cut out the image in the beautiful shape.  Then I took old olive and stamped french script background stamp (also in old olive) on it.  I then used the next size up nestie with the cuttlebug to make the mat frame.  For the blue base, I used aqua mist and stamped with SU priceless (also stamped in aqua mist) to give the curlie q's on the background paper. 

I colored my own ribbon using white silk ribbon and colored it with the peachy copic marker.  This worked very well because the color acted like starch and gave the ribbon a little more stiffness.  Then I sewed with white thread the ribbon together to get the overlapping layers and the yellow button.  The ribbon is just neatly wrapped around the green mat layer.  The happy birthday was an after thought, but this comes from teeny tiny images and is just tucked (with a layer of adhesive) under the green mat layer.

With a clear card, you must have an inside layer, so I stamped that too and added the sentiment from sweet pea 'fill this day with joy.'  Voila - a stunning birthday card for a very special lady.

As promised, here are the images from Debbie.  Aren't her designs just fabulous.  She is one of my favorite designers.  Love her stuff!  Check out her blog http://debbiedesigns.typepad.com/


Thanks for looking!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

How beautiful Linda! I'm sure that your sister will love this! I really like the way that you did the ribbon! You're doing such a great job with those clear cards! :D

wrapknot said...

what a great card! love the garden theme it is so her! with this being her last year in the forties, she needs a very special greeting.
my amuse order came. love it. i'm such a novice that i didn't realize that i needed to buy the clear blocks to use them. so a quick trip to michaels and i'm ready to start.