Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Aunt Verna

A few weeks ago I got a packet in the mail from my cousin in upstate NY.   Her and her sisters have decided to 'shower' their mom with cards to celebrate her 90th birthday.  What a great idea.  Like many 90 year olds, Aunt Verna doesn't especially enjoy crowds of people.  She loves a visit with a grandchild, niece, nephew, godchild or daughter and does great for short periods of time with small groups, but it would have been inconsiderate to hold a large gathering for her.  I thought my cousins idea was fabulous.  And since I love making special cards for people, I was right in my comfort zone to participate! 

I have so many fond memories of my aunt.  She lived next door to my grandparents and since my mom is the youngest of 5, they were quite old when I knew them.  What a joy it was for me to go visit my elderly grandparents knowing that Aunt Verna and my two fun cousins Caroline and Noralee were right next door.  We would do the obligatory 'grandparent' visit for 30-45 minutes (it felt like much longer) and then run next door.  Aunt Verna would welcome us into her warm and cozy home and there were always homemade goodies to eat and laughter.  We often visited in the summer so most of my memories of Aunt Verna revolved around her garden.  In the summer she was most often there - in her garden - harvesting beans, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes and of course STRAWBERRIES.  Fresh off the vine, they were fabulous.  Especially to a suburban kid like me who lived outside NYC.  The produce from Aunt Verna's upstate garden was fabulous.  My other great Aunt Verna memories in the summer were at her lake house, but that's a story for another day.

I chose a strawberry image to use for my card to remember the gardening Aunt Verna.   I'll spend a little time tonight writing up a personal note to include in the card.  I was disappointed that I didn't have a lot of photo memories, but Aunt Verna memories are fresh in my mind, so I'll instead recreate the images with words to bless my dear Aunt.


Card Recipe:
Stamp:  Flourishes Strawberry
Paper: Amuse Red, Green Gingham, PTI white, PTI black
Accessories:  Silk White Ribbon, white flocking (for the white flower petals), copic markers, corner punch

2 comments:

wrapknot said...

what a great card idea linda! she did love her garden and i have only just recently come to realize why. it was her place. she wold rarely request any help, prefering to nurture her plants and enjoy their company. i think that she could contemplate and resolve her struggles while working the soil. thanks for remembering her!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is lovely Linda! I adore this stamp! (Could you bring it along on Friday?) What sweet, wonderful memories you have! Your cousins came up with a terrific idea! Happy Birthday to Aunt Verna! :D