Friday, August 20, 2010

BC 165 - Back to School Challenge

Hello Bloggers!  I have two cards to share with you today....  Why you ask?  Because I have no 'back to school' stamping stuff whatsoever - that's why!  Today's bloggers challenge was to make a back to school card.  What a challenge!  So, I looked around and started improvising.  I started by looking at my new PTI embossing folder with alphabet letters and thought - yes that could work for back to school.  I ran it through the cuttlebug and with a darker paper (like crumb cake) the image was barely noticeable - so I used a brayer and added a top coat of crumb cake ink to the top.  Voila - the depressed letters now stand out on the card.  Good start.  So then, I'm looking, looking, looking at my cards and finally settle on the chairs.  I thought they looked like classroom chairs that might be behind a desk.  I know, it's a stretch, but it was all I could come up with.  So, i did another embossed layer with the other side of the letter folder that has book writing.  I did that one in soft suede with the brayer.  And I added the aqua blue.  I just got this stamp set for my mom - it says 'be the change you want to see in the world' by Gandhi.  I figured she wouldn't mind if I inked it up before giving it to her and I thought it was an inspirational message for a teacher or student.  so then i show the completed card to my daughter and she says 'it's nice, but it's not back to school.'  {sigh} she was right.  So, I went back to the drawing board.  Still no back to school stamps or paper {sigh again} but this time I'm inspired to use the mason jar and paint brushes.  Hey, don't you always think of art class when you think back to school?    The stamp set is from PTI and is called Friendship jars and Friendship fillers.  I love this set.  Just got it last week and this is my first card from it.  Too fun.  It's done with Copics and the A*muse aqua blue.  The brown matt is creamy caramel (retired su) and the sentiment is SU.  Don't you love the bakery twine in brown?  It came out nicer than I thought. 

And really, neither of these are Back To School, but I am trying to be better about my stamping budget so I did not go out and get a back to school stamp.  At least not this year.

Thanks for looking!  Enjoy your weekend.  This is our last weekend of summer.  Both Eric and Sarah start back to school next week.  It feels really early this year {sigh again.}

Card Recipe:


Card Stock:  A*Muse Blue, SU crumb cake, soft suede, creamy caramel, basic black
Stamps:  PTI Friendship jars, Friendship fillers, Chairs.  Sentiments:  AC Moore, A*Muse
Accessories: copics, twine wide ribbon, bakers brown twine, punch, PTI embossing folders letters.
Ink:  Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Momento Black, tempting turquoise (SU marker)

21 comments:

Nikki Bond said...

Fantastic cards! Love the softer colors. {SMILES}

Lisa Somerville said...

Great way to improvise with what you have on had! Super cute ideas, love the color combination!

Basement Stamper said...

I think you did fabulous with this challenge and what you had on hand. I love the colors you used!

BarbaraW said...

Great cards. They may not say "Back to School", but they are both very school related. Great job.

Ida said...

Wonderful job utilizing the stamps you had on hand. I think both of these cards are great. They both have something to do with "learning" and isn't that what Back to School is about.

GCgirl said...

Before I started reading your post, I thought what unique stamps for this challenge! I love the creative spin you took and kudos for improvising :0). The cards turned out great!

MJ said...

Call me silly but I think they are both great back to school cards. Especially for older students. Great job improvising.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your cards are wonderful, Linda. I love how you have made the pencil jar look 3-D with the addition of the border around the neck of the jar. Very creative!

Tami Black said...

These are beautiful but I especially like the second one -- your water coloring is gorgeous!

Kiss the forgotten dog and tell him/her that someone in Ohio is thinking of him/her! (I'm sure the cutey patootie spoiled dog gets plenty of attention!).

Shelly Schmidt said...

Great ideas for your cards- I love the stamps you used- and I love the sentiment you used. TFS

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Both card are wonderful Linda! I think that you did a fantastic job with this theme! I also think that they have that "Back to School" feel! The jar reminds me of all of those Tuesdays I spent this past Spring helping with after-school painting class! Simply beautiful!

Patti Chesky said...

Great cards, but the one with the mason jar and the brushes is my fave! It's incredible!

Clara said...

Great job Linda! I absolutely love the jar image with the paint brushes in it. Looks like a great back to school card to me.

Heidi Hihn said...

Love the card! I love that it has a artistic touch to it!

Lisa Bohler said...

Both cards fit the theme so well even though you thought that you didn't have the right stuff!! LOVE the color palette...so soft and inviting!

Email me said...

oh how cute! I just love the scallop collar around the mason jar!

Lori said...

I think both of these work perfectly for back to school cards! Love the look of the letter background--what a great idea to ink over it to highlight the embossing.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Luv them both, very cre8tive

Marilyn SanClemente said...

I love both cards!!

Rachel Hope said...

Wonderful cards!!! love the colors

Beth said...

Excellent cards Linda! Love the images, sentiments and great colours you combined!