Friday, September 17, 2010

BC 169 Rxxxxx's Birthday Card - Blue, Green & Brown

Hello bloggers!

Don't you just love the colors in the card above?  I think they are very elegant together and plan to use them more often.  If you haven't guessed, our bloggers challenge this week was to design a card using blue, green and brown. 

My church friend Rxxxxx has one of those 'big' birthdays.  You know - the ones that end in a 0!  So I wanted to make a special card for her.  She is doing something really cool for her birthday.  She is taking the christian call to love others very seriously and is using her birthday as a reason to feed homeless people.  I think that is very cool.  Her and two friends will go into Boston (be there by 7:30am) and make sandwiches to pass out in Boston Common.  I was unable to join them this week, but hope to go with her another day and do this.    I pray that their love will impact the people that they meet and bring them hope.

So, on to the card recipe.  If you have never made a clear card - I really encourage you to try it.  It's really pretty easy and in person these cards have a real WOW factor.  To start, I used Hero Arts Clear Card base.  They sell a set of 10 clear cards already cut and folded with envelopes.  No, they are not cheap, but they are cool!   The bird was punched out using SU bird punch in some retired DSP with Baja Breeze.  I did two punches, one in the blue DSP and another punch in certainly celery.  I wanted the branch to be green and the bird and wing in blue.  The ribbon is white silk May Arts.    The card stock is Baja Breeze, Certainly Celery, Whisper White and Soft Suede.  The sentiment is from papertrey ink.  Oh and if you are wondering why I am calling my friend Rxxxxx, it's because out of courtesy to her, I am not announcing to the world her real name on my blog and telling the world how old she is. 

So, what special things do you do on your 'big' birthdays - the ones that end in 0?  Leave me a comment.  I'd love to hear your special way to celebrate! 

21 comments:

GCgirl said...

This is quite lovely...love the clear card base! I have to say your friend has a terrifice idea...the only reason we are still here is for God's glory and to be used as His instrument to impact those around us. How often we get that backwards...kudos and more importantly Blessings to your both :-D

BarbaraW said...

the clear card is really cool. Love the images. Your friend will love it.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Gorgeous! Excellent card.

Lisa Somerville said...

Very elegant clear card, I'm sure your friend will love it!

Tami Black said...

I love clear cards but don't do them often and this is fabulous! Love that we both used pretty much the same colors and that dratted bird!

I also adore the idea of turning your birthday around and using it for Christ -- what a Christian Witness! Blessings to you both!

Marilyn SanClemente said...

What a great card. I love that you used a patterned paper for the bird!

Clara said...

Very pretty birthday card, I'm sure she'll think so too! I like how you used the patterned paper for the bird. :)

Jeanne Nielsen said...

I love the card you made! I think it's great what your friend is doing/did for her BD. I'm going to strategically avoid your question about what I do/did for BD's ending in 0 -- I'm far enough from one that I seriously can't remember, but not so close that I'm going to worry about the next big one approaching! TFS!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I have never tried a clear card- what a fun card! Love how your friend is feeding the poor. I like to travel.....my husband had a big party and we had about 100 people at our house! TFS

Jane Bosi said...

cool card--great idea!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is gorgeous Linda! Very elegant! I guess I am going to have to try making a clear card now! I hope that your friend has a fabulous birthday! :D

Ida said...

So soft and pretty. Love the bird punch.

MJ said...

Fabulous! I know I would love it!

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh pretty card! This is a popular die! TFS!

Rachel Hope said...

So soft and pretty! Very serene. TFS!

Connie Paxman said...

Now this is a card I could never tire of making...it has so many elements to it...love the ribbon treatment and the diecuts...perfect for this challenge.
connie paxman

Lori said...

Fabulous design for a clear card!

Basement Stamper said...

Great card, love that bird.

JP Card Crazy said...

Cute card love the bird!!

njburk said...

Sorry to be late in leaving a comment--Just now viewing everyones! I did get to play afterall.

Love this bird punch and how everyone is using it. Yours is lovely.
N

Mahmood Ali said...

Such a beautiful card great color combination...i like it.
Plastic Business Cards
Plastic Business Cards
Plastic Business Cards