Friday, November 5, 2010

BC 176 Patriotric

I almost didn't play along with the bloggers challenge this week.  The theme was patriotic and I have zero (zip) patriotic stamps.  I thought - I'll use MDS (my digital studio - SU's computer program) but when I looked there, they too had ZERO patriotic stamps.  I also am not a big fan of red, white and blue so up until last night my strategy was to just skip out this week and not do anything.  But then I decided to think about it and get creative.  When I think of patriotic I think freedom and liberty.  So many countries do not have freedom and liberty.  Many people I know are disgusted by Tuesday's election results (I live in very liberal MA) but even though I may have preferred some of the other candidates getting elected, I really appreciate our fair voting process and the democracy that our country enjoys.  So, I decided to make my sentiment about liberty and used MDS to create a cute little banner with the opening line from a patriotic song.

So for my image - I thought of our country and how beautiful it is.  My friend's lovely as a tree stamp set was sitting on the table (ready for over a month to go back to her) and I decided to ink her up one last time (before her return to her rightful owner) and picked up some great DSP in Pear Pizzaz, combined with crumb cake and whipped up this beauty.

Recipe:
Lovely as a Tree stamp set from SU
Sentiment typed and printed on crumb cake using MDS
Pear Pizzaz DSP, Whisper White CS, Crumb Cake CS
Pear Pizzaz ribbon, bakers twine (brown), SU punch, SU library clip, spica pen (to add bling to the tree.)

12 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

Creative use of this weeks challenge, I'm glad you joined in! Love the monochromatic feel with the beautiful trees and lovely sentiment!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Fantastic take on the challenge- that would have never occurred to me...! We had a change here in Illinios too- I agree- we are lucky to have the right to vote and for the Majority of voters to have a say in our Nation's policies. Land of the Free- Home of the Brave- love your card!

BarbaraW said...

Love your take on this weeks challenge. Great patriotic card.

GCgirl said...

Extra kudos to you for really thinking about this challenge and rising to it! The card is beautiful and tfs your thoughts as well :-D

Ida said...

Beautiful card and wonderful sentiment. So glad you joined in. Love the non-traditional take on the colors.
So not happy here in our state with the outcome of the elections. It's sad that one county controls the entire state.

Jeanne Nielsen said...

Lovely sentiment! I especially love that you didn't feel like it needed to be red/white/blue! I struggled with that for a bit myself! TFS!

Tami Black said...

The color is so calm, but I love the soft elegance of this card. Perfect sentiment and I've never seen this one on a card before!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is lovely Linda! How creative! You did a FABULOUS job with this challenge! I love the Baker's Twine and that sweet ribbon loop! :D

Basement Stamper said...

Your creation is great, way to think outside the box and I'm so glad you decided to play this week!

Nikki Bond said...

I love your take on this challenge! {sMILES}

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Beautiful card...love the monochromatic scheme. Good luck on Etsy...your cards are beautiful!

Lisa Bohler said...

I think that this take on the challenge is brilliant! So creative and fits the theme...gorgeous card!