Monday, November 29, 2010

Dad's birthday card


So how do you feel when you have a masculine card to make?  I always start a masculine card with a bit of anxiety.  Can I make it special without all those usual accents and embellishments?   I think the trick is to start with a great image and a great layout.  Once you have that, it's not so bad.  At least this one came together easily and I credit the layout for most of it.

My dad is a big time golfer.  He is retired now and living in Arizona so he golfs several times a week year round.  It's great for him; exercise, companionship and he's always been competitive so he can keep that going too.  To look at him, you'd never know he is in his late 60's.

Well, for his birthday I pulled out my very old (and retired) SU golf set 'back 9.'  I got this one on ebay after it was retired.   I decided to pull out some old retired SU paper and worked with crumb cake and always artichoke.  I love the seam binding ribbon from the holiday mini.  It's so easy to work with and looks great on all my projects.  At AC Moore's black friday sale, I got this cool Tim Holz sizzix die.  I got 2 of these embossing folders for @5.00.  Great deal.  I roughed up the edges, paper pierced the edge of the bo-bunny polka dot paper and added a twine bow to the always artichoke ribbon.  I made the tag with a sentiment from a SU hostess set.

Oh and I sponged tim holtz antique linen on the edges of the very vanilla card stock that the golf  course image is on.

This baby will get off to the post office tomorrow and hopefully will arrive before Sunday.


2 comments:

wrapknot said...

i completely agree that trying to keep a masculine ( or gender neutral ) card 'not girly' is a challenge. layout is a huge piece for me as well as colors. i think there are many stamps that can work if you get the color thing going.
nice job on your dad's card, it's handsome :)

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is wonderful Linda! The colors are perfect and this layout is great for your masculine image! Well done my friend! :D

PS. I didn't know AC Moore had Tim's embossing folders...something I'll have to check out! Thanks for the heads up! :D