Friday, February 4, 2011

BC 198 Color challenge Black, White, Red

Hi Bloggers, Are you glad it's Friday?  I know I am.  However, I am not excited about the winter mix storm that is heading our way for Saturday.  Today is beautiful - sunny and warmer - maybe 32 or so.  I think Sunday will be similar, but Saturday - rain, sleet, snow... yuck.

So, I confess, this challenge really challenged me and I don't know why.  I mean how hard is it to use three colors in a card - jeez, I do it all the time.  But I struggle with the color red.  When I first read the challenge I heard use Red, White and Black.  So my mind went to using red as the primary color and white and black as an accent.  That sounded hard.  But when I changed it around and thought about making a black and white card with some red accents - easy smeazy!  So once I changed my focus, it all came together.

This is actually a mini-card that will be another one of my cookie sunday cards.  It is 4 X 3 1/2.  The base is actually very vanilla.  I wanted something other than black for the back.  Next came a layer of basic black.  The next is a SU DSP that was cut to size and then trimmed with my corner rounder.  Next layer is antique lace ribbon (don't know why I don't use this more often!) On top of that is some whisper white embossed with criss-cross, also rounded.  Then on top is a circle nestie cut out and stamped with one of my all time favorites - SU's rose double stamp set.  The colors for the rose are real red first, then riding hood red for the second rose stamp.  The green is first pear pizzaz, then wild wasabi.  If you've never tried 'two step stamping' you must. It's not too hard and does add a level of interest to the image. Oh, and I used a post it note to mask the rose when I stamped on my leaves.

The embellishments on top are some cheapo black/white polka dot ribbon made into a bow topped with a red felt heart with twine bow laced inside.  

So that's my Bloggers Challenge for the week!  We have some great card makers in our group. In my blog now is the BC blog hop.  You can see all the others designs and if you want to play along and make a card with these colors - please link it up to my site.  It's fun to be challenged.

14 comments:

Tami Black said...

The roses look awesome and I adore that texture plate on your Whisper White. The layers with the rounded corners are great too -- very pretty!

Basement Stamper said...

Beautiful flowers!

Lisa Somerville said...

The Wild Rose looks beautiful! Love the added texture under your images, lovely card!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Such a beautiful card. Love it!

Lisa Bohler said...

Love the way you used the flower image to add such focus and depth to your card!

BarbaraW said...

The flowers are so beautiful against your pretty background

Ida said...

Great job with this challenge. I love the bold look and feel of your flowers.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is lovely Linda! The embossing in the background is fantastic! Your blossoms turned out beautifully too! :D

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful flowers- love the colors. The background embossing is a lovely accent!

Lori said...

Beautiful! The flowers look lovely against the embossed background.

JP Card Crazy said...

Lovely!! The flowers are so beautiful.. great layout.

GCgirl said...

Great layout and layering of color/texture and the main floral image is gorgeous :0)

njburk said...

Great job on this--love it--and your woofers too--I'm in Westford, Mass---are you in the "city" or north/west of it? If you are not too far maybe we can meet up once the snow is gone!

Chrissy D said...

This is LOVELY! Great texture!