Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Attempting to overcome my fear of stitching - one card at a time....


I realized today that I have a fear of stitching.  I have only stitched on a handful of cards, even though I've had my Sew Mini machine for almost a year.   I realized that the reason I am so reluctant to sew is that very often I sew after the card is complete.  And in that case, I have so much invested in the card that I don't want to ruin it if my stitching goes awry.     So today I vowed, I will stitch on my card.  But because I'm still fearful of ruining a perfectly good card, I decided to stitch just one piece of the card.  And the stitching went well.  Not perfect, but it didn't ruin the card.  Can you see the white stitching on the blue cloud paper?  I know it's subtle, but it's there.  I am going to push myself and try to stitch on MOST of my cards for the month of May.  Like any fear, I just need to do it.  Hopefully after a month, I'll be better at it, or at least a little more confident.

So this card is pulled together to be part of the MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge.  The sketch is great don't you think?




I was debating between using an A La Mode coffee girl or this PI swing girl and since the weather is so warm today and the sun is shining, I opted for the sunshine swing girl.  I had this image from my friend Kimberly, left over from a project last winter for Christmas Craft swap.  The cute pink flower paper is from Jillibean paper - Alphabet soup.  It's so bright and cheery.  The cloud paper is from imaginisce and I love the aqua blue with the pink.  I added a wooden button that I got from Carly Robertson's Etsy shop this winter and yes, the girl is colored with various copic markers.  I added the polka dot grass at the last minute and decided to show my green flowersoft some love by including it in the tree branch on top.    The sentiment 'smile' is from a different PI girl set but it fits perfectly in the MFT cloud die.  I hope you are enjoying some nice sunshiny weather whereever you live.  Thanks for stopping by and I love your comments!

6 comments:

Shirley said...

She is adorble and your card is so pretty too!

wrapknot said...

she is sweet linda. i agree that even with 'design elements' (code for mistakes) cards are not that forgiving. sometimes when i add the last touch it just does not work and i'm stuck having invested all that time and effort.
keep stitching, i know when you get more comfortable it will look even better... and it looks really good now!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a lovely card Linda! Her paper pieced dress is just darling! Keep up with your stitching...you're doing great! So glad that you are putting your PI images to such wonderful use! :D

jimlynn said...

Simply a precious card!! Love that little image and your layout is fabulous! Great addition of the "grass" and button too. Very cute.
Lynn

Pam said...

Great job on the stitching! I love to stitch on my scrapbook pages, do it on almost all of them! Your card is adorable!

Sassafras said...

Ha, ha, I know what you mean about not wanting to ruin your card. But, yes, practice makes perfect so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of sewing this month!