Saturday, May 28, 2011

MFT Sketch Challenge - What's cooking

So are you cooking up some great summer meals this memorial day weekend?  I am planning on making 'Meringues with Fresh Berries.'  The recipe is from Taste of home magazine and it will be perfect for memorial day with it's red/white and blue.  I love meringues and hope they are as easy to make as they appear.

The reason I ask about your cooking plans is that I thought about what card to make for this weeks MFT challenge and decided that since many of us are cooking, my 'what's cooking card' would be a good fit for this week.  My other choice was the PI ice cream girl, but I'm sure there will be lots of times this summer when she will get inked up.





 



So this card was made with the Kitchen Kutz patterned paper.  I don't have a die that matches the image in the sketch so at first I thought about using a different die, but then decided to 'hand cut' a shape that would work for the sketch and the Who's that Girl, girl.  To do it I used a circle inside my ruler and penciled in 4 circles in the rectangle. Then with a pencil I drew a shape around to match and then cut it out and erased the pencil marks.

I colored my girl with copics.  I think I need a few more greens.  I have trouble matching my greens to my patterned paper.   Generally the greens I have are very bright and yellowish.  I think I need some that are less yellow and more blue/gray.   I intentionally played with the bowl.  I had a bowl once with speckles on it, so I tried adding some grey speckling to the blue bowl.  The photo doesn't really show it well, but up close you can make it out.  I did some stitching on the blue bands before adhering the whole thing together.  I think she's darling.  I decorated the inside to include the sentiment.  This will be a perfect card for a friend you want to stay in touch with!  Have a great holiday weekend.  Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

2 comments:

Sassafras said...

Your What's Cooking' girl is so cute and I love how you made the bowl speckleware! I think the green apron goes just fine with the paper and love the worn jeans... p.s. the first thing I looked for was the stitching!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wonderful job with the sketch, Linda! I think that this is my favorite a la mode girl! I LOVE the speckled bowl! I have a heart shaped serving platter just like that! :D