Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Impression Obsession Challenge - Hot Fun in the Summer

Isn't it fitting that I post my 'Hot fun in the summer' challenge card today.  Today is the summer soltice.  Here in New England the sun was up at probably 5am and tonight it won't set until close to 9pm.  I can't imagine how people adapt when they live in really northern climates.  I haven't been sleeping much lately.  I wake up in the morning and don't have an easy time falling back to sleep.  I suppose those in the far north use shades for these long days.  But, no, I am NOT complaining.  Compared to the short days of winter, I love this time of year!  My favorite way to enjoy the heat (or beat the heat depending upon your preference) is to be a the beach.  I love my beach chair with a cool drink, a good book and some sunscreen.  What's your favorite thing to do on a hot summer day?

I am really happy with how this card turned out.  Sometimes that happens.  You start with something that you aren't really sure is going to even be decent and then it surprises you by being wonderful.  I love this stamp from I/O (H1743 - A day at the beach) but I find if I color it too much it gets busy.  So I chose to add only slight hints of color to get a washed out and mellow effect.  I used my copics E41 and E00 for the sand.  Then I only added a hint of gray with W5 for the chair, fence and buckets and then I added a Y32 for the lemonade and beach ball.  Lastly I put in some BG10 for the beach blanket, umbrella and floral accent on the basket. 

The image is layered onto some coordinating webster pages Yacht club papers and I did a bit of stitching on the star paper layer.  A ribbon bow, button and some die cut scallops and circles round out the card using a new favorite sketch layout.

You still have time to enter your card in the challenge.  Just use at least one IO stamp and make it a summer theme.   Post it on your blog and link it into the IO blog before 10pm Wednesday night.  Below is the IO blog link and a listing of future challenges.  When you enter the challenge you enter a drawing for a $25.00 gift certificate to I/O.

http://mitrafriant.typepad.com/


Photobucket

2 comments:

Shannon White said...

Ooooh,,So soft and Pretty! I love the dreamy colors you used! So Beautiful!

Hugs
Shannon

Karen said...

I really like the subtle colors in this card (and your point about the image being too busy with more color - I hadn't considered that!)