Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Patriotic Birthday Card for outdoor lover

Our family has two birthdays that are in early July.  My sister turns 50 today.   I posted her cute daisy card last week.  My stepfather turns 61 tomorrow.   I will mail this today and while I doubt it will get there on his birthday, hopefully it will only be one day late. His card is below:





My mother, stepfather and brother live in Wilton Maine.  Life really is different up there.  It is very rural and slow paced.   My stepfather is very active.  He is always sailing, kayaking, hiking or rock climbing.  It's the perfect place for them to live since he loves mountains, lakes and oceans.  He is a part time anesthesiologist so he works hard when he is on, but has times when he isn't working for weeks on end so he is able to do all his favorite outdoor activities.   So, when I was digging around for inspiration for his card and found this great page from Webster Pages with the sailboat, lighthouse and fireworks I knew I wanted to use it for his card.  I used my PTI retro die and the PTI sentiment to make the perfect July birthday card.

I have one more thing to show you today and that is my new custom made stamp with my blog address.




A few weeks ago I decided it was time to get a better stamp to use on the back of my cards.  I had a stampin up one made when I first started stamping that has my name but it didn't have my blog.  So I contacted Karen Giron (http://kgiron.blogspot.com) and asked her to make me an image.  She was very willing.  She has several cute fonts and designs to choose from.  She has the watermarks on her blog but if you send her an e-mail she'll do the custom art for the stamp.  She charged $5.00 and e-mailed me the image.  Then I went to http://www.rubberstamps.net/ and put in the custom artwork and for $10.95 had this nice woodmount stamp made.  Including the artwork, shipping and stamp this cost less than $20.00.  I love this image and how nicely it fits on the back of my cards.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.   We still have a heatwave in New England but I'm hoping to do some work in the garden before it gets really hot.

3 comments:

wrapknot said...

love the card. the entire theme is perfect for a july bd.
the stamp is so you. i've loved your watermark and the stamp is great! i may copy the idea and gift one to naughty for her birthday!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wonderful card Linda! I'm loving these new papers that you have been working with! Great stamp! I really need to invest in one! Thanks for the information! :D

Karen said...

Great card, Linda. Are the sailboats part of the paper or are they paper-pieced? I especially like how you popped up the strip along the top; it's subtle but gives a lot of dimension to the card.