Friday, September 16, 2011

Bloggers Challenge - Buttons

Hi Bloggers,
I have two cards to share with you for this week's bloggers challenge - Buttons and one of the cards is also for the make it monday challenge with papertrey ink.  The first one is a fun and bright/cheery card. I decided to ink up this adorable sunflower image from papertrey inks friendship fillers set.  I have never used this image in one of the mason jars but I love inking it up as a focal point.  For this first one, I inked up the stamp with momento brown and colored it with copics.  I put my buttons inside my sunflowers and stamped the image on a manila tag.  I did a bit of paper piecing on the tag to add a splash more color to the top of the tag.  The plain manila colored circle cut out was quite dull, but by cutting out a circle (with a little circle punch) and then punching a tiny hole in the center I added some pizzaz to that.

The  tag is raised up and layered on my cute patterned papers.  My black polka dot paper was bugging me because the polka dots were pure white and the rest of my card was off-white.  How did I remedy this?  I pulled out my pearl colored copic marker and colored in the white dots to make it a black and off-white polka dot paper.  Yup, I'm becoming a stickler for little details like that.

The bottom edge is die cut with the pti die.  I think it adds a nice elegant touch.

My second card is a little more rustic.  This one uses the PTI make it monday technique of stamping with acrylic paint.  What a different effect this color medium has.  The images are much less crisp and it has a more country feel to it.

I brushed 3 different colors of paint on this to get the fence brown, the flowers yellow and the grass green.  My acrylic paints are from a kids paint set so the colors are quite bright and not very natural.

I didn't do any further coloring on this since the paint had a pretty distinct effect and there was lots of color already.  I framed the image within a spellbinders nestability mat that had a big circle cut out.  I did this in one pass with my cuttlebug.  It's a fun way to frame an image.  For the mat layer, I inked up this tree bark background stamp on kraft paper.  This is a hero arts stamp set I got a while ago and it comes in handy sometimes.  I added buttons to this sunflower set also and finished it off with the die cut bottom layer and a chocolate chip ribbon bow.

I left both cards 'sentiment free.'  Sarah is wanting a bunch of cards to give as gifts to her Ukraine host family and since they don't speak english, blank cards will be best for them.  I think sunflowers are a universally loved flower and grown all over the northern hemisphere so hopefully they will recognize and love the image.

So, what are you plans for the weekend?  We are going to do our annual apple picking trip.  We will also help Sarah with her last minute packing.  She leaves to start her 27 month peace corp assignment on Monday morning and I'm sure we'll be busy with last minute preparations with her.  I'll also be cooking her favorite meal (with apple pie or apple crisp for dessert.)  Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

Bobbkat said...

I love the way your little button flowers peak over the fence, Cute!
Kathi Bobb
Bobbkat's Hobby Blog

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Oooo! The two techniques both look so cool with this stamp! These are so awesome. I've been thinking I should try the acrylic paint with some of my stamps. Hope my results are half as good as yours! :)

Yvonne Garner said...

Great cards! The first one so cheery. I love how you matched your dots to the tag. My daughter had a snowball wedding (no color for bridesmaids). She chose ivory for her and their gowns. Everything had to be ivory. We drove ourselves nuts with shade of white/ivory! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Basement Stamper said...

great card, I love the black and yellow on that first one.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

These are both so cute! I love the buttons as the flower centers!

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful cards, love the design and use of the buttons as your flower centers.

JP Card Crazy said...

Linda how sweet love the buttons as flower centers. Very clever!!!

Ida said...

Both these cards are so pretty. Sunflowers are just wonderful and the button centers are perfect.

Terry said...

What a clever idea to add the buttons to those delightful flowers! Lovely card and design!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

I'm playing catch up on my commenting tonight! These cards are simply wonderful, my friend! That flower stamp is so cute! :D

Chrissy D said...

Linda - this is a GREAT idea!!! Love your flowers!!! Wonderful work with the Bloggers Challenge!