Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Cat's Pajama's challenge

Wow - sometimes I amaze myself at how clueless I can be.  Last week, Cat's pajama's posted a challenge to make a card using something with wings.  I immediatly thought of fairies and butterflies.   Since I don't have any of these TCP stamps, I thought 'well, I can't play in this challenge.'  But then on Monday night, I was looking at my TCP camping stamp set and noticed there was an owl in the set.  Duh.  Owls have WINGS.   I did not think at all about birds, planes or other 'winged' things.  So, I worked on a cute little birthday card taking that darling (and tired looking) owl and stamping him three times to make a focal image for my masculine birthday card.
I colored him with my copics in grays and browns and put him on the card with some of these great masculine blue/beige papers.  The sentiment is from PTI's owl set, because none of the sentiments in my TCP set really worked with my owls.  I hope it's okay that I mixed and matched.

We had a really nice weekend with family and friends.  I forgot how much planning and preparation go into a party.  Sarah had a lovely time and it was all worth it.  I didn't take one picture the day of the party (you know how crazy it can be when you are the hostess) but my sister was walking around with a camera so hopefully we can get some of the photo's she took.

We had about 40 people for the party.  Several of Sarah's college friends came by and spent the night and we had several family members from out of town at nearby hotels, so we still had guests on Sunday morning for breakfast.  I got my camera out then.  Here are my 'day after' photos.

 Don't you love this photo.   A recent college grad with lots of experience 'couch surfing' tries to catch a few zzz's as the house gets going....
 This is my  mom enjoying a morning cup of coffeee..
 Here is Sarah, also enjoying a morning cup of coffee... her friend is on the floor in the background.
 Jessa looks darling in the morning.  Eric's girlfriend stayed over too to enjoy the breakfast party.
 Eric hasn't started with coffee yet (he's still into his hot chocolate.) Notice the beautiful flower bouquet behind him.  A bunch of Sedum of mine had been trampled so I cut them and put them in a vase.  Then Jonathon (Sarah's ex boyfriend) brought a fresh bouquet that got added.  It's beautiful.
 Bob's father and brother Scott.....
 Eric again.  In the background, you'll notice posters everywhere.  Sarah made up several that had information about Ukraine and peace corps service.  They were great.  They answered many questions and all of us are much more knowledgeable about where she is going and what she will be doing.
 The candy buffet the day after.  We had 5 bins of various candies and goodie bags for everyone to take a bag home.  Thankfully there are very few candies left today....
 Not bad for the day after.....
 Sarah made 'stay in touch with me' cards with her blog and e-mail address. 
 Megan, my brothers girlfriend wrotes in Sarah's book.  Sarah asked everyone to write a note of encouragement to her.  She hasn't read any of them yet.  She is saving them for when she gets to the Ukraine.

 My brother Chris, looking all clean shaven.

The 'baby car' as my mom calls it.  She got this roadster for her 'early' 75th birthday present last spring.  Can you believe they drove this from upstate Maine (5 hours on Rte 95?)  They made quite an entrance when they pulled up in it.  All the kids loved climbing in and several of the adults looked like they would have enjoyed taking it for a spin around the neighborhood.  It's a hoot.
Sarah and her Uncle Scott.
Sarah and her college friends.  She was so glad they made it to the party.  They were giggling up a storm Saturday night after us old folks went to bed.   Luckily I'm a sound sleeper and they didn't keep me up.

Well, that's it for our 'day after pictures.'  Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Cute card with those funny little owls!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Darling card! Glad your party was a success...everyone looks like they survived the morning after quite well!

Lisa Petrella said...

ADORABLE card, Linda! And great photos----looks like you all had a wonderful time!!! Best wishes to your daughter on her adventure!!!