Thursday, September 1, 2011

Make it Monday - coloring with pencils

I love this week at papertrey ink.  The make it monday technique is coloring with pencils.  I just got a new set of 72 prisma pencils on Saturday and last night I was eager to use them.  The video Jennifer posted is great. She shows some basic blending techniques and shows how baby oil and a paper stump can help blend beautifully.

Check out the video below:

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2011/08/make-it-monday-30-colored-pencils.html

So, last night I pulled out 'itty bitty bird', a darling PTI stamp set that doesn't see much ink (such a shame.)  I was inspired to do the bird and tree in fall colors to give the technique a good run for it's money.  After all, the solid green, wouldn't really tax my blending skills, but fall colors - that gives me something to work with.  After I colored up the tree and bird, I decided to add the sentiment and use another technique from a previous make it monday - adding a box.  This time instead of making the box with marker, I made it with my red pencil.  To finish it off I added 3 chartreuse buttons, a small strip of die cut grass and a versamark squiggly border down the right side.  I matted this up with orange and red.  Somehow adding the orange under the red made it less christmas colors (although this red and green combination may be PERFECT for a modern christmas card another day.)

So, how is your week going?  Mine is good, but busy.  I have been trying to increase my activity level for the last few months and have been enjoying a new Yoga class in town.  Normally I go on Monday's, but this week, I went to the beginner class on Tuesday so I could bring my dear husband.  I love the fact that he will try anything with me.  He has been knocking his back out a lot lately and I know we have a lot of guys in the intermediate class.  I know if he strengthens his core and improves his flexibility, it will help with his back issues.  Anyway, he willing came with me Tuesday night, but he's not convinced he'll go again.  We had a super sweet teacher, but toward the end she got a little too into her 'happy thoughts' for Bob.  He almost laughed out loud 2 or 3 times when she read her inspirational statement and encouraged us to clear our minds.  Next week, the Tuesday class changes to a different teacher (Ellen) and a more advanced class.  I'm going to try to get him to try it again.  He did agree that it was not too hard and he did agree that he needs to improve his flexibility.  Next year it will be just us two (Eric will be off to college) so it may be a fun thing for us to do in our empty next years.    How about you?  Have you tried Yoga or another activity to improve your core strength?

6 comments:

Cyndie said...

Cute card! I'd say you did very well indeed on your first outing with Prismacolor! They have such a cool, waxy texture--you'll love them. I really like your coloring of the robin and the subtle coloring of the leaves--nice job!

Teresa said...

Your card is just wonderful. All those little touches make it perfect. I am also impressed by your husbands willingness to try something new with you. Will have to share that with my hubby for inspiration.

Kristen :-) said...

Love the bitty bird! I just bought this set, cant wait to use it! Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

Kimberly Gajewski said...

I absolutely LOVE this, Linda! Your pencil coloring is so pretty! Truly a terrific card! Hope to stop by at some point on Saturday! Hugs! :D

Suzanne Russell said...

So cute! I love the cardstock colors as well as your talent at coloring!

Karen said...

LOVE this! It is completely adorable and all the elements accent each other beautifully. The squiggles echo the tree leaves and the grass grounds it all. Just fabulous!