Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sept 11th never forget....

Good morning bloggers,

Today is the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States.  Before I get into my 9-11 comments, let me show you a card I made last night.  This is for The Cat's Pajama's Tuesday challenge.  This one was a sketch challenge.  I love the bright and fun colors from this SU Cake Paper. 

I'm sure you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard of the attacks.  I was in Hopkinton MA and was at a bible study fellowship leaders meeting.  It was the first meeting of the new year and I was gathered in prayer with about 25 other women.  We prayed on our knees so we were all in a circle on our knees praying for our class.  One big rule we had in BSF was to turn off your cell phone, but sure enough one of the phones starting ringing.  It got turned down, but then the woman who had the phone left the room.  We all figured it was a sick child or something family related.  A little while later she came back into the room and interrupted us and told us there was a tragedy in NYC.  Of course she didn't have a lot of information and I honestly didn't believe it was that big a thing - maybe a plane crashed, but not what she was saying.  I thought she was being dramatic.  I was in denial. 

As we all started to process the information, our leader challenged us to get back to the leaders meeting agenda.   She said that the 120 women who were planning to come to bible study the next day, would need us to hold class and offer encouragement and support.   She knew we couldn't cancel class, nor could we have class unprepared so we got to work preparing our materials and talking through the administrative details.  It was very important that we had a well run 1st class.  Many women who came the next day were afraid and confused.  It was helpful for all of us that year to be together, studying God's word and trying to understand the events of the day and prioritize our lives against the new reality. 

I had a renewed sense of purpose that year.  I am very grateful to the skilled leadership of my BSF leader (Nancy Mayle) that year.  She was a great support to those of us who were the small group/discussion leaders to keep us focused on doing our jobs with excellence.  Our job was to encourage and love on the ladies in our group.  The rest of it was just secondary to that primary job.  I am no longer a BSF leader (I served faithfully for 8 years) but have fond memories of those days.  If anyone ever invites you to a BSF class (they are held in major cities all over the world) say yes.  It will change your life for the better. 

http://www.bsfinternational.org/

There is power in studying the bible in a safe and comfortable environment.  You will be amazed at how relevant and current a 2000 year old book can be.  Can't go to a BSF class? See if there is a bible study offered in your local church.  As we reflect on the 10 year anniversary of 9/11, I can't think of anything more appropriate than changing your priorities to gather in community and be transformed by renewing your mind.  The following scripture comes to mind.

'Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.' Romans 12:2.  How do you transform your mind?  Stop looking to the world (media etc) for guidance on how to live.  Instead open up the bible (daily if possible) and prayerfully study it.

Below is a link on more about renewing your mind...

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1996/277/

So what were you doing when you heard about the tragic terrorist attack on the US on 9/11?  How are you spending the day today?  Thanks so much for sharing.  I read all the comments and would love to hear from you today.  After all, 9/11 reminded us that community is so important.  We are the UNITED states of America.  Thanks for stopping by today.

5 comments:

Georgie Horn said...

I was at work for a small family owned company in Nashville TN. The COO came over the house intercom and said "Everyone come to the conference room NOW, a plane has hit the World Trade Center." We all piled into the conference room and watched in confusion as the second plane hit, another plane hit the Pentagon and another crashed in Pittsburg and then the Towers fell. It was horrible. Thankfully, the company gave us all the day off, so that we could go and be near our families. And, that's exactly what I did, I went home and snuggled with my daughter the rest of the day.

THE HOOSIER STAMPER said...

Awe, how sweet!

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Hi Linda - what a nice post for today. I enjoyed reading about your story. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog today too. I hope your day is full of blessings. Hugs from California!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wonderful card Linda! I like the felt accents! Nice story for today's post! I hope to talk to you very soon! Hugs! :D

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Hi Linda. I love your card - fun and fabulous. I live in NJ about 40 miles from NYC. At the time of the attacks, I was working in my home office with the door closed. My 22 month old twin sons were with their sitter in another part of the house. I received an email from a colleague in Nashville (I was a telecommuter) asking if my husband worked in NYC. He did not, but he was just across the river in Newark, NJ. Military planes began to fly over - shaking the whole house. I glued myself the the TV in total disbelief. I had been to the World trade Center many times, and knew plenty who worked there. As the story unfolded, I just felt the need to see people who were close to me. To gather. To pray. I wanted my sisters. My mother. I wanted my husband to come home. It was one of the most gorgeous days in my memory, and surely the most horrifying. Today my son and I cantored together at a mass that was planned in honor of those lost on this day. The school library in which I work is named for John Collins, a first responder who died in the process of a rescue effort. It was so profound to me to sing with my child who was so tiny at the time, to honor this day and the families and friends who lost everything. My son is so sensitive, but he can not fully understand. I did not make it through the final song - America the Beautiful - without breaking down. I felt grateful for so many things today, and humbled by the fact that I am here with a job to do. I have 10 million more thoughts, but for now, I will just sign off with gratitude for the freedom I have, the life I love, and the blessings that I try never to take for granted. xoxoxo