Thursday, October 27, 2011

A complete re-do

Hi Bloggers,

Today's post includes a total botched job and then the re-do.   The re-do is for the cat's pajama's acetate challenge. The funny thing?  I was so sure the first card was going to be fab-u-lous.  I'm working away on it thinking to myself, this is going to be GREAT.  For sure, it will be chosen as a 'pick of the litter' by The Cat's Pajama people.  And then it got close to be finished and FAIL.  Kind of the like the souffle that crashes as you pull it out of the oven - not that I've ever tried that - but I've heard.

So, first I'll show you the reject.




I should have known when the design got complicated.  See, to do this, I had to cut my circle inside the double layer argyle paper.  And there is a space between the two.  And I wasn't mounting on cream card stock.  No, I was going to put a cream circle under the acetate layer and put it on patterned paper.  What I forgot was that I was going to have to put the acetate layer with the shake it material on the colored circle piece blind.  I had to turn the image down to keep the shake it materials in. And even as I'm carefully placing it, I'm still convinced it's going to be great.  Only when I flipped it over did I see how crooked my image became.  And then, the flower soft was too thick and stuck and didn't shake.  Total failure.  Good thing I can laugh at myself.

So, even though it was 9:15 at night, I embarked on another project.  This time I took some of the complexity out and added in some fun.



So, here is my final birthday card for my brother in law.  I used the same image, but kept it simpler.  I inked up the image directly on the card.  I also gave myself a penciled circle to ensure I kept my scene within the window.  Then I added only ONE layer of paper.  This one is so fun, it doesn't need any more.  I added fine flower soft as my shake material and it sits nicely at the bottom of the scene but when shaken, it playfully moves all around the camp ground image.  My brother in law is a big camper so I added the sentiment I'm a happy camper, but took out the I'm and replaced it instead with this B alphabet letter to make it more appropriate for a birthday card.  I had fun with the banner and the TCP flower dies as extra embellishments on the side.  Inside is a fun birthday sentiment mat layered on the same patterned paper.

So, what are your fail stories.  Everyone has them.  I'd love to hear about yours.  I hope when you had your fail you had the common sense to laugh at yourself.  Although I do realize that some fails have much more significant consequences than mine.

I hope you have a great day.  Thanks so much for stopping by.

7 comments:

Georgie Horn said...

You turned a mess into something fabby! I have too many rejects to talk about. I'm still learning! Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Funny story, great card! I like the woodgrain paper better for this design, and the flower soft looks great in the window.

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Hi Linda!! What a cute post... I know exactly what you mean and I was cracking up! That happens to me all the time...great idea in my brain but not so much on paper. Although I think both of your cards are great. I love your idea about the flower soft in the shaker! Have a blessed day!

Traci M said...

I have made mistakes too often to count...but unless you're under a deadline, it's just paper, right? Those trees look a lot like ours in our backyard as we got hit with a big snow in our Colorado town, and it took two huge trees in our backyard down!!
I like your end card, the woodgrain and the whimsy...thanks so much for joining us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ this week!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a great masculine card Linda! You do such a wonderful job with that TCP set! I've never used Flower Soft, but your idea sounded terrific! See you Sunday! :D

Shirley said...

Actually I like both. If you don't like the division, put ribbon on it and a bow to the left or right. I really like it off level. I love the second one too of course and think your shaker is wonderful and the embellishments terrific!!

Julie Masse said...

Looks great Linda!! Love the green flower soft for the shaker - it's perfect!! PSSTT -check out the TCP Forum!:)