Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hello bloggers,

Did you know that today is world card making day?  I kept telling my family yesterday that it was coming.  They were laughing at me.  They wondered if the UN had to be involved or if presidents had to vote on it.   Of course not.  Here is the history:

'World Card Making Day began in 2006 as National Card Making Day. Founded by Paper Crafts magazine to bring card makers together at the beginning of the busiest card-making season of the year, it was first held on October 7, 2006. The initial celebration involved the Paper Crafts magazine audience only; however, due to the positive response it received and the worldwide popularity of card making, the holiday became known as World Card Making Day from then on.

Celebrating its sixth year in 2011, World Card Making Day is celebrated annually on the first Saturday in October. It's a day for the card-making community -- hobbyists, retailers, and manufacturers -- to unite and celebrate the connection and creativity that is the heart of card making. Join us in the fun on October 1, for World Card Making Day 2011!'

So, what did I make for world card making day?  Well, I made 3 things (but only 2 of them are cards.)  First up is this card for The Cat's Pajama's challenge.

Who knew that plum purple, pear green and smoky gray were such a fabulous color combination.  I think it goes perfect with this bunny in the meadow stamp.

I colored Mr. Bunny up in cool grays using my copics and did the flowers in the plum purple.  Of course the grass was pear green.  This background paper was from a grab bag of papers I got years ago, but the smoky gray/blue color was the perfect background.  Can you see the two squares of plum purple behind the bunny?  In person, the purple is noticeable, here in my photo it gets washed out.

I die cut my cloud out of a cotton pad.  Very easy to cut, not so easy to stick on the card.  Every time I tried to release the sticky glue dot (attatched to the cotton cloud) it wanted to pull off the cotton, not my fingers.  A set of tweezers made the job much easier.  I did some stitching, added in a grass die cut layer, small ribbon and flower button.  Oh, and I put an edge of copic gray around the edge of the cloud so the border of the cloud is more distinct compared to the cotton splaying out from the die cut.

 My second card is for Denami's challenge for World Card Making Day.  For this, the challenge was this inspiration photo.





Such a pretty inspiration.  I pulled out the colors yellow, white, brown and orange for my tree card.




To get the orange on the tree, I punched out a small circle and used the remnant as a mask for my sponging with mustard ink.  The papers on this are from Little Yellow Bicycle and SU (soft suede & more mustard.) I added some stickle glue glitter to the tree leaves, but that isn't very noticeable on my photo.

Lastly, I finished up another journal book.  This will be a gift for my cousin who is putting us up at her house when we attend a wedding later this month.  She's very artsy so I think she'll like having a journal to jot her thoughts or sketches on.




This is using the PTI make it monday technique of making my own chipboard accents.  Here I used a cereal box, cut the die 3 times, cut the die on the Little Yellow Bicycle paper and then gluing it all together.  The stems are SU ribbon.  The blue paper is memory box.  It's a little tricky pulling the cover and back off the spiral book, then putting it back together, but it can be done.  To get my holes on my paper, I just used a round tool and hammered in holes.  Then I glued the paper to the cover (and back) and then re-attached the cover and back into the spiral binding.  Again, it's a little tricky, but if you stretch the binding out enough, it's pretty easy to wedge the cover back in.  Then just scrunch the wire back together again.  I'm sure there's a tool for this, but my fingers did the job just fine.

Well, I'm off to watch Eric's soccer game.  Even though it's been rainy today, it's not raining now and they haven't cancelled the game. Then it's home to watch Clemson vs. Virginia Tech and maybe do a bit more crafting.  My niece's school is having an auction and I promised my sister some card packs as a donation.

1 comment:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Lovely creations Linda! That bunny is my favorite TCP image! You did a beautiful job with the Denami challenge, and the journal is terrific too! You had a busy day! Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :D