Monday, October 24, 2011

Impression Obsession Challenge - The color purple

Good morning bloggers,

Did you have a good weekend?  We did but it was awfully busy.  My DH and I went to Brimfield MA Saturday to do some tornado relief work.  We went to an auto shop where they had a lot of damage to their property.  My husband worked the chain saw all day cutting up wood to get to additional debris.  Some of the others and I spent the day seperating out scrap metal, useable wood, burnable wood, and items for the dumpster.  I'm a little sore today from all that bending and lifting, but nothing a little advil can't fix.

It really is amazing how much damage a tornado can do in such a short time.  The very forested area was completly leveled and crews have been out helping clean up since July and it's not done yet by any stretch.

Oh and Friday night, my son had some friends over.  They were very resourceful.  They assembled the second TV next to the wall mount set and had 4 boys all playing on two screens their 'zombie' game.

Photo's of both activities are at the end of this post.

Today's post is for the Impression Obsession Challenge.  You can get all the details about the challenge on the website below:

http://mitrafriant.typepad.com/impression_obsession_news/2011/10/our-purple-challenge.html

The challenge will close Wednesday so you still have a few days to submit.





When I saw the color challenge I knew I wanted to ink up my Thistle Garden Stamp set.

For this one I used SU's new Wisteria color and put an embossing folder on it and cut a window out.  I added some very vanilla seam binding ribbon and a tag punch sentiment.  I love this I/O sentiment 'you're one of a kind.'   It works perfectly for so many occassions.
I hope you are having a great start to your week.  Thanks for stopping by.



Below is from Friday night.  There were many soda cans, candy wrappers and other junk food debris left for clean-up on Saturday but it was fun to hear the sound of boys laughter in the house and I love having them all over.




Below is a shot of Bob in his chain saw glory, standing on the pile of debris we were trying to sort through and clear.  He would cut the giant tree limbs up that were covering the debris, we would move the logs and then start digging through the rubble.



Bob is standing on what's left of a camper.  You can barely make out the trailer base.  In the background, and below, you can see the flat landsape and the devastation of all those tree's down.  The storm cut a 1/2 mile wide path through.

Above you can see one of the ladies digging around the pile.  There were many piles to go through, but we made a good dent in the big pile.  The business owner now has a big pile of scrap metal he can sell to help off-set the significant cost of clean-up.  He told us he spent $75,000 in dumpster fee's and he's not nearly done yet.  We went with our church group.  There were 65 from our church, but many other volunteers from other groups.  There were many home sites that needed help.  Friends of ours were at an older women's house clearing the road so the plows will be able to get through this winter. 

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Hey, Linda, your card is lovely! How creative with the die cut too! Great job on your relief work too! Thanks for playing and good luck in the drawing too, Linda!!

Ellen said...

Beautiful garden scene ! Love the die cut window effect!

Peggysuez said...

I had to look at this post too because I love the color purple. How nice that you went to help with tornado relief, good for you! I am sure it is much appreciated.

Karen said...

I love this card, especially the embossing and the cut-out framing the birds. The Wisteria Wonder looks great on the Crumb Cake background and the vanilla seam binding is a perfect accent.

And speaking of one of a kind, your commitment to helping those in need really touches my heart. You are truly special!

Katie said...

Love the purple embossing and that green button! Also love this IO image but it is not yet with me, some day! Great card. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Linda, you are one of the kindest people that I know...I'm so glad to call you my friend! It looks like those poor people still need a lot of help! Your card is beautiful! I'm a purple fan! You have gotten so much done this week! My night class is really getting in the way of my stamping...lol! :D