Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Make it Monday - Make your own Washi tape

Good morning,

We are having a beautiful sunny day here in New England.  What a treat, it's been very rainy.  I am enjoying a quiet moment (with my laptop) and my doggies.  I love how my doggies sit at my feet and how Tank rests his head on the top of my foot.   ( - :

Anyway, today's post is for Paper Trey Ink's make it monday challenge.





This week, they are teaching us how to make our own Washi tape.  I love this idea because one reason I'm not really using any washi tape is because it doesn't exactly match my colors.  Now that I know how to make my own, I can create any type of tape to exactly match my cardstock and ink colors.  Very cool.

My creation today is a sympathy card using Gracious Vases and a sentiment from last years anniversary set.



To make Washi tape you put tissue paper on scor tape and then stamp on the tissue paper side.  I only had narrow scor tape (the video used a much wider tape) but this worked just nicely.  I put 3 strips next to each other and before I cut the tissue off, I stamped the orchid image in desert sand all over the three tissue paper/scor tape strips.  Then I cut the tissue off and got the 4 strips  around the frame. 

For the image, I stamped the vase in desert sand also, and then the image and sentiment in Baja Breeze.  To get the scallop edge, I cut 6 circles and glued the circles under the image mat to create this larger scallop effect.  The pearls between the scallops and the pearl accents on the flowers finish the card off.

This card is for a co-worker of my husband.  Her daughter (a young mom) passed away and he is headed to the wake this evening.   I will keep her and her family in my prayers.  I hope this card offers some encouragement.

Well, I'm off to my Yogalates class (combination Yoga and Pilates.) Since it's beautiful out, we'll probably be outside in the gazebo.  We probably will only do this one or two more times before the weather really turns, so I'll savor the fresh air today.

Have a great day.  Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Linda, this is gorgeous. I really love the soft colors and I love the detail of the tiny pearls.

Marybeth said...

This turned out very pretty I like the subtle colors.

Linda said...

Very nice card.

Karen said...

The washi-style tape makes a very interesting and pretty frame border. I agree it's a great technique to make matching embellishments. Love the colors on your card.