Sunday, November 27, 2011

Girl and Bird

Happy Sunday Evening bloggers,

Today's post is two cards for two challenges.

First up is a fun paper pieced card for My Favorite Things Wednesday Sketch.





I love this paper from My Mind's Eye.  The non-traditional holiday colors are fabulous.

My second card is a second entry for Papertrey Ink's make it monday.  The technique is to use sentiment stamps with soft colors to make a patterned background paper.  I also am using this card for Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge to make a card using a bird.  The scripture verse is from Matthew 6:25-34 ".... Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?...." 

I love birds so this was a fun and easy challenge for me.  I had been playing with this wreath that I made by cutting a hole through my doily die cut (without the doily pieces pulled out.)  I thought how cute would this be with a bird on it, so voila - here it is.  The only problem?  I added green stickles to the card and before they were dry proceeded to drop the card face down on the berber rug.  So, there is a nice smudge on the bold sentiment.  Bummer!  But it's still not too bad.  Next time I'll be more careful.


So, how was your Thanksgiving?  We had a nice Thanksgiving.  My sister and her husband and my niece all arrived Wednesday night.  We had a peaceful and calm Thanksgiving - very low key and quite nice.  Friday, Kathie and I headed out for some black friday shopping.  Then my Mom, Stepfather and brother arrived in the late afternoon.  I find that I get pretty overwhelmed, pretty easy these days.  Having nine boisterous and talkative people around wears me out.  It's not even the cooking and cleaning and hostessing that tires me out.  That doesn't really bother me at all.  It's all the talking.  I know that sounds terrible, but I'm good for about an hour or two of conversation but after that I'm pretty much wasted.  My husband is great though.  He picks up the slack when I wear out.  I think he can talk for hours.  He's a great conversationalist and is comfortable talking about all kinds of various subjects.  So, over the course of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I retreated into my craft room each day for a 'talk' respite.  I was starting to feel guilty about it today, but then realized that was crazy.  If I was in one of my advanced Yoga classes and was getting too tired to do another plank flow, I would take a break and stay in downward dog or go into child's pose until I got my breath back.  And then, when I had my much needed rest, I'd continue with the next flow.  I figure my daily 1 hour craft break was like my skipping a flow and hitting child's pose for a bit and then I'd head upstairs and engage in conversation again for a bit.  However, even with my breaks, I was pretty worn out today when the last guests left at 5:30pm.  I figure I'm good for at least 6 months when we host Eric's graduation party in June.  That gives me lots of time to rest up.  Thankfully we aren't hosting anything for Christmas.


So, no more feeling guilty, just feeling thankful that when I need a break I have my card making to calm me down - and thankful that I have a husband to carry on the conversation in my absence.


Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you have a great day!

5 comments:

Traci M said...

I "retreated" into my stamp room the day after Thanksgiving...hosting and all the preparations were exhausting!! I'm glad you got your stamping time in as these are both adorable!! I love the added birdie to your wreath, and your first card is the cutest!! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!!

Kristina said...

Glad you had a nice thanksgiving, that little bird is so cute!

Visiting from Stampin Sissters in Christ
xo
Kristina
Please stop by and say hello!
www.pearlgateway.com

Karen said...

So very much to be thankful for...

Love the wreath; is it solid card stock or paper? The sentiment is beautiful and there's an easy fix to the smudge: just stamp it again and cut it with a circle, pop it up. I'll send it to you: what color ink did you use? You'll have to stamp the background again, but isn't that the nicest part? (And may I suggest a nice big bow?)

Is that whole quote on the stamp? I know that verse, as it is one of the first that showed me that the Bible is alive... I thank the Lord for that, and especially for your friendship!

Lovely Linda said...

Awww - your cards are wonderful! I love them both - fabulous images and perfect colours! We have so much to be thankful for - we are all so blessed! Thank you for joining us for the Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge this week - we love to see you!{{{hugs}}}
Linda SSIC Design Team

Shirley said...

Your little paper pieced girl is adorable and love what you did with her snowballs and the top of her boots too! Your peace card is lovely, Linda! The die cut card is really pretty too! I took a look at your stickles and I think it's pure art!! so there!