Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Grateful

Good morning bloggers,

Today's post is a Thanksgiving card.  Don't you just love Thanksgiving?  I mean we all love the food - but for me the holiday goes beyond that.  How awesome that we have a day set aside to just simply count our blessings and be grateful for the good things in life.  Each year, there are always some things in my life that are not perfect.  I mean has anyone ever had a time where everything is going perfect?  But Thanksgiving is more about looking for the good in the circumstances and being thankful for the blessings we have.

This beautiful card will be sent to my daughter Sarah in the Ukraine. I doubt she'll get it by next week, but that's okay.  I think she'll appreciate anyway.

This card is also for the 'stamping sisters in christ' challenge' for the below verse...

 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 

You can check out their challenge with the link below:

Stampin sisters in christ 


And since we are on the topic of thanskgiving and looking for the blessings in a situation, I thought today would be a good day to post my son Eric's college essay.   I am so proud of him for his view of this situation he writes about.  It was such a challenging year for him and I love how he turned it around for good.

Enjoy reading an 18 year old view of disappointment...


I felt like a loser. As I stood at center court faking excitement with my teammates after our State Championship victory, I will never forget feeling that I didn’t deserve to be there. I had done nothing, or so I thought, to help our team reach the goal we had worked hard to achieve. I was embarrassed to be on the court celebrating because I thought of myself as the meaningless bench warmer and not a valuable part of the team. However, looking back I see how that basketball season of my junior year helped to shape me in the person I am, and is still transforming me into the man I hope to be.
            It would be wrong of me to say that I did not have fun getting treated like a celebrity in the weeks following or getting all sorts of free jackets and items, but I can honestly say that that championship basketball season was the worst basketball season I have ever had. I had always pictured my junior year as being the pinnacle of my basketball year, but as it turned out I was a bench player that didn’t see action unless we were winning by a large enough margin that I couldn’t cause too much damage. To say that this was a humbling experience for me would be a drastic understatement. I went from being one of the best players the year before, to be being a practice player; someone who worked as hard as could in practice every day, but couldn’t quite seem to catch the eye of the coaching staff.
            At first I struggled with my new role and wanted to quit, but as the season progressed I realized that self pity would get nowhere and I needed to find a way to make the season a learning experience that I would one day remember fondly. I eventually found this solution through a teammate. He was in the same situation as I was and as we talked one day after a tough practice, we decided that we would focus on encouraging everyone on our team and helping make the other players the best that they can be. We knew our team had the potential to be champions and I was up to us to make sure that we all stayed positive and motivated to reach our goal. I can vividly remember one of our assistant coaches coming up to me after a practice and telling us that he saw what we were doing and thanking us for our sportsmanship and our leadership even when things weren’t going our way. This assistant coach had been my head coach the year before so he knew the hit that my ego had taken, so it was meaningful to me that he noticed the hard work and determination that I was showing.
            As the final buzzer of the State Championship game rang and I stood there amidst the chaos feeling like a complete fool, I realized that it didn’t always have to be about me. I was not the star and that is something I would have to get used to and embrace. That basketball season taught me more about myself then anything I had experienced before and although I would never have admitted it at the time, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  
 Written by Eric Monroe 6 months after the championship season ended.
Okay, I can't help but add a few comments to the story above.  First off let me explain that the reason Eric sat the bench his junior year is because a superstar player transferred to his school in 2009.  Colin really is 'that good.'  This kid will be playing division 1 college basketball.  And Eric plays point guard.  There is only one point guard on a team so when Colin transferred in, he took Eric's spot and there wasn't any amount of training that Eric could do to displace him.  Colin was faster, taller and just that much better.  But don't get me wrong, Eric is very talented too, just not as talented.  It's a tough lesson and I'm sure each of us has a story of a similar disappointment, but I was so glad to see Eric recognize 'it's not about me' and look at the big picture.  That skill will take him far in life.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Enjoy your day.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your card! Actually, I love all your work and am your newest follower!!
What a wonderful lesson your son learned and what great testimony to admit it! Our world would be a much better place if everyone realized "it's not about me"! Thanks for sharing!!

http://debbiesdashofthisandthat.blogspot.com/

Traci M said...

What a beautiful card, so simply elegant!! Your son's essay is really encouraging to me as a mom...we never know for sure what God is doing in our children's lives.This is such a valuable lesson he learned, and how proud of him you must be!! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for joining us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ this week!!

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Linda - thank you for sharing from the heart - you must be so proud of your son! I love your image and the details you have surrounded it with!! Thanks for joining us in this weeks' challenge at Stampin'Sisters in Christ! Have a great week! {{{hugs}}}
Linda SSIC Design Team