Monday, November 21, 2011

Missing my girl; cards for challenges

Hi all,

I am missing my daughter so much, I almost cried when I finished up this card for her.   I just want to give her a big hug and chit chat with her face to face.  At least we have technology and we can talk and e-mail....but it's not the same, you know??

She is just finishing up her peace corps training in Ukraine and then she'll begin her 2 year assignment there.  We won't see her this holiday season, although we hope to go visit her in the spring of 2012.  That is a long way from now, but she's doing great.  Gosh, I love that girl.  She has such a sweet heart - really.  We talked to her on the phone yesterday and she has her interview today to state her preferences for her permanent assignment. She'll get her permanent assignment in a few weeks and go there in mid-December. She says 'I don't want to put any requests out there because I don't want to limit my experience.'  Bob and I had to laugh thinking about the 'experiences' she may get!   I just hope she doesn't get the worst assignment because she is the least demanding.  We are totally praying that God will be in control here and she'll be placed where she needs to be. 

So to give you an idea about the kinds of things she could request - she could ask for an assignment where there is running water and toilets - but no - she won't ask for that.  She is willing to take an assignment in UKRAINE - where it is COLD and she's willing to go out to a water pump and heat her own bath water, and she's willing to use an outhouse - all winter long.  Talk about a servants heart.  Love, love, love her... and praying that she gets a good assignment...She did say she will ask for one thing.  She will ask that she be in a more rural area (not city) where she can become fully integrated with the community, BUT, in a town with public transportation so she can easily visit other neighboring peace corps volunteers.  That is very wise of her.  If she gets lonely and is not connected, she will not succeed.  In a city, that could happen.  It's the reason she thrived in a small high school and small college.  She is not the big city/big campus type.  She has always been one who 'gets by with a little help from her friends' and is not at all the super independent, I can do this on my own type.

Anyway, onto the cards.

First up is the card I made for her.  It reminds me of a beautiful eastern european girl dressed up for a day out.  I did some stitching on this card and it's EVEN, but you can't really see it on the blue patterned paper.  Bummer - just my luck - the one time my stitching is AWESOME it doesn't show.  I guess I'll consider it good practice though.  This card  is for My Favorite Things Wednesday sketch challenge.  Great sketch.  Very fun to work with for a vertical image.


Next up is a fun card for 'The Cat's Pajama's Challenge.'  This was also a sketch challenge and I had fun making my own rolled red rose and doing some die cuts to make the 'movie reel' element that was to go on the card. I flipped the sketch on it's side and I'm quite pleased with how this turned out.  I think those holiday stripes go really well with this fun image.

4 comments:

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Your cards are wonderful - totally put me in the mood for Christmas! I love that little girl with her fur hand warmer!! Your daughter sounds like such a blessing - thanks for sharing that nice story. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Karen said...

I see that nice, neat stitching... very cute card with nice details. I'm sure Sarah will enjoy getting it, as she must be missing you as much as you are missing her.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

I zoomed in and can see your FABULOUS stitching, my friend! Love your MFT card! Love those adorable penguins too! You did a terrific job with Leigh's sketch! It's wonderful that you can make and send cards to Miss Sarah! I'm sure that she loves receiving them! I'll pray that God put her right where she is needed and belongs, and I truly believe that he will! :D

Shirley said...

What a wonderful daughter and her parents have a part in that too! Had to smile about the running water thing. When I volunteered for Katrina we were sent to an area with limited facilities, but not outhouses. :-)

Your cards are precious and the little girl is adorable. Those penguins are fun fun fun!