Friday, December 30, 2011

12 blogs of Christmas - Blog 10 Occupy Advent


Hi all,

Before I get to one of my last Christmas posts, let me show you my Blogger's Challenge card and my Cards for Soldiers cards.

The bloggers challenge theme this week is 'celebrate.'  There are so many events in life that call for celebration, so I made a nice summery flower card that simply says 'celebrate your day.'  This would work for a birthday, anniversary or retirement.  I love how flexible this sentiment is.  I had fun mixing up some coordinating 'my minds eye' papers with the papertrey ink sentiment and sunflower.


Next up are my 'cards for soldiers' designs.  The deadline for Valentines day is next week so I had a few people over last night and we made these cards below:

First is a fun and elegant card using a memory box stamp and some 'my minds eye' coordinating papers from Lost and Found.
 The second card uses a favorite Stampin Up stamp set of flowers and hearts.
 The third card is a fun poppy card using Stampin Up calypso coral.  What a beautiful and bright color this is.  I love how the rick rack die breaks the flowers from the sentiment.  The coral is softened by chocolate chip brown and natural white card stock.
Last up is a whimsical and fun card using a retired stampin up set 'wild about you.' 

Which is your favorite?   I kind of like the fun wild about you one, but the elegant florals are nice too!

So now onto one of my last last Christmas posts.  I'll try to keep these next few blogs brief.  Thanks for bearing with me.  12 is a LOT of posts and I hope you are not bored to tears yet.




Today’s 12 blogs of Christmas topic is ‘occupy advent.’  Another tricky one.  I hate to make political commentaries so I really hope I don’t offend anyone.  From what I know about the occupy movement, people are really upset and protesting about the unfair distribution of wealth.  They argue that the 1% of the highest income individuals should not receive the income they get and they should share what the get more generously.   I’ve read that many poor people are extremely generous and will give their last dollars to someone in need.  While rich people give lots of money, proportionally they give significantly less than others.  But that is not true for all wealthy people.  For inspiration, click the link below and read about this man, Charles Feeney who is filthy rich but lives a modest life and gives away most of his money to worthy causes.  He donated hundreds of millions of dollars to Cornell University.  I was really humbled by this article.  I don’t make as much money as this guy, but I indulge in some of the luxuries he denies himself.  It kind of makes you think – how much do we need to spend on ourselves to live a comfortable life?


5 comments:

BarbaraW said...

Lovely celebrate card. The sentiment is very versatile. Love the papers you used.

Elizabeth Allan said...

Linda I enjoyed all your lovely cards. Thank you for sharing these beauties!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Your celebration card is wonderful Linda! Love those owls...so cute! Lovely cards for the soldiers! I wish I could have come over! Hope to see you soon! :D

Pam said...

That was a very humbling article indeed! Thanks for the link!

I like the 2nd card best and thank you again to you and your group for making them! I will look forward to seeing them in person!

Happy New Year!

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful creations! Wishing you a creative 2012!