Saturday, December 31, 2011

12 blogs of Christmas - Blog 11 - Extravagent Gifts

Have you ever received an extravagant gift?  Have you ever met anyone who has?  As a child, one year, my sister and I received a sunfish sailboat for Christmas.  That was an extravagant gift that we enjoyed for many, many summers.  

I have a friend who received a brand new Camero last year for Christmas.  She described how fun it was to open the key in a jewelry box and go outside and see her surprise present in the driveway.

Our family isn't too into extravagant gifts.  My experience is the best extravagant gifts cannot be bought with money.  This sounds super corny but the best gifts I have ever received are: unconditional love, respect, health, friendship and family.   I am especially thankful for my children and my health today since Bob and I are going to an infant funeral this morning.  Sophia was the newborn infant daughter of a church family we know.  In vitro they knew she had a serious heart problem and they did all they could to give her a chance at life, but sadly she survived only 11 days before passing.  I am expecting a very sad morning as we go and mourn with the family, but at the same time, I plan to celebrate the New Year tonight thanking God for the blessing of health our family enjoys.  When you encounter death, sometimes the best response is to enjoy life you know?  Below is the sympathy card I made for the Priore's.

Early Espresso, Blushing Bride, Pear Pizzaz and white made a great color combination.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'll be back next year with my final 12 blogs of Christmas post and a birthday card for Jessa!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Your card is very beautiful, and so is the idea that you are gathering to help a family share its burden of grief.

I'd have to agree with you that the best gifts aren't what I'd consider extravagant, but sometimes when I compare my family bonds and blessings with what others have, it makes me realize how special, perhaps how extravagant, to have that unconditionally loving family.

I wish you and your loving family a Happy New Year filled with abundant blessings and extravagant acts of love.

Shirley said...

You are so right on about gifts, Linda, and your card is just so elegant and lovey!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a pretty card Linda. The colors are lovely. What a sad occasion. I'll keep this family in my prayers.

Jeff Hardy said...

nice post. Now you can use this indian importers directory to promote christmas gifts import & export business.