Monday, December 26, 2011

12 blogs of Christmas - Blog 6 The gift of subversion

Hi bloggers,

If you are here for the Papertrey Ink Blog Hop.  Welcome.  You are at the right place.  I am normally just a card making blogger, but World Vision challenged me to blog about Christmas for 12 days.  Each day they give me a 'topic' and I blog about it.  So this is a really long post.  First, three PTI cards and then  my Christmas blog:

So first, here are my papertrey ink cards.  The idea was to use Christmas leftovers.  I made three cards.  First, I had quite a few card making leftovers like scraps of papers, unused sentiments and scrap die cuts so I pieced them all together and made this fun card.  It's pretty simple, but I like it.

Second, I loved the cardboard from one of the gift boxes and decided to make buttons with the boxes.  So my second card is using a leftover receipt and die cut boxes.





Third, we had a really fun bag leftover from Gilly Hick and I decided to use just the bag and do a similar button card, all in navy and red.  We have a strange/funny Gilly Hicks story.  We had went to Hollister to get Jessa a pair of Yoga pants for Christmas and they gave us a coupon for Gilly Hicks for a free bra.  Well, Gilly Hicks doesn't sell 'plus size' anything so I knew the coupon would go to waste if we didn't use it for someone else.  Not to let a bargain get away we decided to get Jessa a free bra.  No, it wasn't part of her gift, that would be WEIRD, but we got her one anyway.  Gilly Hicks is the Hollister brand for undies.  Eric and I walk into the store and two young women in plaid mini skirts, low cut navy tops greets and say 'welcome to gilly hicks - we have the cutest bra's and the best down undies.'  Too funny.  We scored our free item and headed out.   Their color scheme and bag were quite adorable - don't you think?  I couldn't resist making it into a fun card with buttons also.  The cream for their logo was perfect for my buttons and sentiment.  I used the bottom of the bag for my mat layer.




Now on to the 12 blogs of Christmas post.  Today's topic is 'The gift of subversion.'  Are you like me?  Are you going ??????  This one threw me for a loop.  I decided to look up the word subversion to ensure I was understanding correctly what to blog about.  I mean subversion - gift - Christmas????  Here is the definition from the on-line dictionary: 
Subversion:  the act or an instance of subverting or overthrowing a legally constituted government, institution, etc
So I guess I'll talk about those times when overthrowing an establishment is a gift and somehow relate it to Christmas.  So, how about talking about Martin Luther?  No, not Martin Luther King Jr, but the original Martin Luther from Germany who starting reading the bible and found quite a few inconsistencies with what he read and what he was experiencing in his German Church.  Here is a nice summary of Martin Luther from Wikipedia:

Martin Luther (10 November 1483 – 18 February 1546) was a German priest, professor of theology and iconic figure of the Protestant Reformation.[1] He strongly disputed the claim that freedom from God's punishment for sin could be purchased with money. He confronted indulgence salesman Johann Tetzel with his Ninety-Five Theses in 1517. His refusal to retract all of his writings at the demand of Pope Leo X in 1520 and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms in 1521 resulted in his excommunication by the pope and condemnation as an outlaw by the Emperor.
Luther taught that salvation is not earned by good deeds but received only as a free gift of God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority of the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church by teaching that the Bible is the only source of divinely revealed knowledge[2] and opposed sacerdotalism by considering all baptized Christians to be a holy priesthood.[3] Those who identify with Luther's teachings are called Lutherans.
His translation of the Bible into the language of the people (instead of Latin) made it more accessible, causing a tremendous impact on the church and on German culture. It fostered the development of a standard version of the German language, added several principles to the art of translation,[4] and influenced the translation into English of the King James Bible.[5] His hymns influenced the development of singing in churches.[6] His marriage to Katharina von Bora set a model for the practice of clerical marriage, allowing Protestant priests to marry.[7]

Now I don't want to start a war between Catholics and Protestants, but even Catholics would probably agree today that 'indulgences' - the purchase of forgiveness from the church for money isn't really a good idea.  So even if you don't agree with his other ideas, the fact that he subverted, caused some positive changes.  And the fact that many German's came to hear the word of God because of his translations is also a positive that most of us would agree with.  The King James verison of the bible in english can also be attributed to the work Luther did in translating.  And lastly both Catholics and Protestants sing in church now, and according to the above, Martin Luther's hymn writing brought singing to the church, so we can thank him for that too!  So, I do see that Martin Luther's subverting behavior was a gift.  It was certainly a gift to me.  Why?  Because of him, my church 'Faith Community Church' exists - a protestant based church in my area and because my church exists, I know God.  Good stuff!  I really hope tomorrow's topic is a little easier.  Come back again!!!






 

19 comments:

Karin (PeppermintPatty) said...

The first is very beautiful and elegant and the second two so cool!

Victoria said...

Wow, good for you for getting three cards done! I love the extra special details like the buttons you made from the gift box, and the cute polka dots from the Gilly Hicks bag (funny story about that store, too!)

Hsppy Holidays!

Cyndie said...

Great cards! The Gilly bag one is my favorite--love those dots. I really enjoyed your "subversion" blog dissertation, too!

Tracey McNeely said...

All are really nice and I truly think your Hollister receipt card is awesome.

Ruby Craft said...

Your cards are great and so is your blog on the gift of subversion. I found it very interesting and love the way you summed it up. A great gift indeed.

samantha's cards said...

lovely card

Karen said...

love the button card wonderful design

Marybeth said...

Beautiful card!

Jude said...

They're all great. Great use of leftovers for the challenge.

Inkyfingers said...

What fun cards - I love how you made the buttons.

Suzanne Russell said...

Love the paper buttons and twine. I have just been introduced to Gilly Hicks, so that one really caught my eye! Great job!

Lee said...

Lovely cards. The colour combo on the first card is my favourite.

Karen said...

Yes, I also thought "The gift of subversion???????"

Your post was so interesting and informative, and right on the mark. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

Shay said...

Love how diverse and great your cards are!

maryrose said...

Love the cards, Linda! And also loved your thoughts on subversion.I have a world vision child in Zambia, and I look forward to reading the rest of your inspirational posts!

Kelly S. said...

Awesome projects! The buttons on the third card remind me of fun confetti and the first card is so elegant wiht the red holly leaves mixed with the soft neutrals!

Joyce said...

Your cards are all beautiful. I really like the first--somehow the sentiment stamped in red is really striking.

Lori said...

Great projects! Love the fun dots on the third card--and the funny story that goes with it!

jen said...

Wonderful creations, and very interesting info on Luther. Thank you!