Tuesday, December 27, 2011

12 Blogs of Christmas Blog 7 Compassion

Hi bloggers,

Today's 12 blogs of Christmas post is entitled Compassion.  Ah, much easier topic than yesterday's on subversion.   Even though I know what compassion is, I thought it would  be fun to see what wikipedia said about it. 

Compassion is a virtue — one in which the emotional capacities of empathy and sympathy (for the suffering of others) are regarded as a part of love itself, and a cornerstone of greater social interconnection and humanism — foundational to the highest principles in philosophy, society, and personhood.

Love this.  Great definition and a great virtue.  I am actually not a very compassionate person by nature.  I am much more left brain centered. When I did my personality assessment and SHAPE profile, I am very task oriented and not so much people oriented.  But I have grown in my compassion abilities.  You know what did it more than anything else?  Teaching a women's bible study group for the last 14 years.  I started out facilitating a women's bible study through a group called Bible Study Fellowship (BSF international.)  What a fabulous organization. If anyone ever invites you to the class - go and check it out.  It's AWESOME.  Anyway, in BSF we would have small groups 10-15 women and as the facilitator I didn't do any teaching, I just encouraged the ladies to do the readings and questions, share their answers and explore growing in their faith.  I met a lot of women since each year we would rotate ladies in and out of groups so no two groups were the same.  And we talked on the phone - one on one- almost every week.  We also shared our answers to the bible questions.  It was always amazing how many challenges women face.  And I was a front seat witness to their challenges and I would listen and pray for them.  That my friend will grow your ability to feel and express compassion. 

Nowadays I am not able to do BSF.  My work schedule doesn't fit their timing, so instead I lead a women's bible study at my church Faith Community Church.  Just like BSF we have 10-15 women each week.  Just like BSF we meet and talk often so I really know these women and yup, these women face some real challenges too and I am still growing in my compassion abilities, but I love it.  I love being able to listen to a women share her struggles.  I love being able to encourage her to be strong, have faith and watch for God's hand.  You know what?  I have a front row seat to God's miracles every week through these ladies.  I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Do you need to grow in your compassion virtue?  Join a bible study. You don't have to lead it or facilitate it.  Just go.  Be real.  Be transparent and encourage the ladies you meet when they face struggles.  Want to find out about BSF?  Check out the link below.  They have classes all around the world in major cities.

BSF International

2 comments:

Karen said...

The definition of compassion that you quoted is lovely. Although I have always considered myself to be deeply compassionate, I find that is not always true, especiallly when I feel beset by life's challenges. My goal for this year is to regain my compassionate identity, especially with my children (who, of course, are directly related to my challenges in life!)

BSF changed my life, irrevocably and for the best. I can attest to your compassion, especially as we worked through our Bible study together. The lessons we learned were planted deep within our hearts. I am so grateful for having participated in BSF, and especially for having met you there.

Karen said...

And I wanted to say I LOVE that you won PTI's blog challenge! I was so hoping you would!