Thursday, December 22, 2011

The 12 blogs of christmas - What only God can do...

Hello all,

Before we get to the Christmas post, let me share a card with you.  I just received these goodies from Joanne Basille from My Favorite Things.  I was a winner in one of the blog comment contests.  It's good to win free things!!!  I decided to ink these up and use them for their sketch challenge these goodies to make a birthday card for my father in law.

Yup, it's the second blog of my 12 blogs of Christmas.  Today's theme is 'What only God can do.'




Hmm, this one is going to be harder than the others.  Many other christians I know see God's hand in EVERYTHING.  They see miracles performed in their lives and the lives of loved one's.  I know God performs miracles every day.  I just don't usually see those miracles in my life.  I do know of one miracle he performed in my life and the ripple effect of that miracle manifests itself in all aspects of my life every day.  So when I think of 'what only God can do' I think of the miracle he performed on my heart over 10 years ago.

So what is that miracle?  I was offered (and received) forgiveness, acceptance and unconditional love.  For some reason I have always been very hard on myself.  It wasn't something from my parents or others.  No-one pushed me or made me feel inadequate but I just never felt that what I did was good enough.  I would make mistakes and others would forgive me but I often didn't forgive myself.  I was a 'good person' but never felt I lived up or was good enough.  I had a big self-esteem issue that manifested itself in ugly ways.  On my 35 birthday I was overwhelmed with a lot of things and felt a real void in my life.  Struggling to find what was missing, I desperately attempted to find a church thinking maybe that was what was needed.  Well, I went looking for a church and religion and instead found something much, much better. I found Jesus Christ and a personal relationship with God and that brought me peace that surpasses all understanding.  I can't explain it. If you have it, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  If you haven't, you will wonder 'what the heck is she talking about.'  Knowing the love of Jesus Christ and that fact that I am a beloved child of God - exactly as I am - flaws and all - is the most freeing thing ever.  The bondage of 'not good enough' held me captive for most of my life.  The freedom of 'good enough as I am' has freed me to explore a destiny with God that includes peace and love.  So on this second blog of Christmas post when asked to talk about 'what only God can do' I am only able to say what God did in me that I couldn't do myself nor could any other human do for me.  He forgave me.  He accepts me.  He loves me.  And that, my bloggers friend is enough.


2 comments:

Sarah Kate Monroe said...

Loved reading this :)

Sharon D. said...

So beautifully written and so true. Thank you for an uplift on this dreary NJ day.