Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Make it Monday Challenge

Good morning bloggers,

Yesterday I was so happy to see Nichole's blog and this week's make it monday challenge.  This week Nichole posted all of last years videos and encouraged us to pick one (or more) that we didn't get to and try it out.


 http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2012/01/make-it-monday-47-2011-a-la-carte.html


I missed a BUNCH of these video's last year and was especially interested in the one about making my own colored striped ribbons using copic markers.  I had seen this technique used by Nichole and had tried it on my own with no success.  The video proved very helpful.  The key is to use a grosgrain or satin ribbon.  The seam binding ribbon absorbs too much ink.  The other trick is to move the marker VERY QUICKLY across the ribbon - you can't hesitate at all or you get clumps.  So, viola - here is my card using my hand-made striped ribbon.  Note:  I made the mistake of hesitating and there is a BIG clump of pink, right in the center of my ribbon, however I hid it when I made the ribbon so the 'bad' part doesn't show.    Hey, some of the best cards come from fixing boo-boo's - right?

This is another sympathy card for baby Sophia.  I decided to send a card to Doug and Mandy (the parents) and also another card for Sue and Bob (the grandparents.)  I thought the pretty image of the pink tulips with the added embellishment of the ribbon would be a nice touch for a sympathy statement for baby Sophia - it's very girly, but classic and elegant too. 

Well, life is starting to get back to normal.  We had really unusually warm weather for Christmas but winter has arrived today.  Brrr, it's pretty cold out there.  As much as I love living in New England, I forget how inconvenient bitter cold is.  I am very thankful for my warm house, coffee and hot shower.  Make it a great day.  Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Luanne said...

Beautiful coloring on your tulips. This is a lovely card!

Deb said...

Great job with the ribbon technique. It is a beautiful card that will be cherished.

Sabr said...

Such a beautiful card! The flowers look so lovely in the background!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

I feel better now that I've had the chance to catch up on my blog comments. This is so pretty Linda! That ribbon is the perfect touch! These tulips are lovely too! :D

Karen said...

Your card is beautiful. I really like the bold quote stamped on top of the subtle colors of the flowers, and the ribbon is so pretty - glad you tried this technique again!

victoria h said...

A very pretty card with a fab ribbon bow.

Tracey McNeely said...

Linda your ribbon turned out so lovely. I agree that you need to keep the Copics moving or the ribbon absorbs too much ink. Beautiful card.