Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dark and Light Card (and update on high school basketball)

Hi Bloggers,

My card below is for the Stampin Sisters In Christ Challenge 130 based on Ephesians 5:8-9.  The challenge is to make a card using light and dark.




I picked dark brown and ivory for my light and dark elements and then added a little hint of light pink to dress it up.  This card uses the papertreyink patterned paper dear jane and a my favorite thing sentiment 'for you.'  I added a tiny tag to the corner that says 'all my heart.'  It's very simple, but I like it.  I also got to use my new papertrey oval die set.  This is a very nice size of nesting cuts so they work really well for this type of look.

So, if you follow my blog, you know that my son plays on the Whitinsville Christian School Varsity Basketball team.  He is a senior this year and the team has done very well.  They played Saturday in the district championship and beat Littleton soundly.  Yesterday was the State Semi-Final Game.  What a heartbreaking game it was.  They lost in the final 30 seconds with a score of 61-59.  So the season is now over.  Eric was disappointed, but not too upset.  He says last night - well I guess I'll be going golfing tomorrow afternoon.   Normally he has basketball practice, but now that the season is over, it's on to golf and baseball.  And so it goes.  As for the game, well, WCS was up the whole 1st half.   St. Joe's had some points and the momentum shifted late in the 3rd quarter.  They never really got too far ahead and we scored some big points and took the lead for most of the 4th quarter.  We were up by 3 points with 30 seconds to go and then the wheels came off.  St. Joe's scored and then they were up by 1.  We fouled and they scored some more.  We had seconds left and couldn't get a play off and then the buzzer sounded, the game was over and we all sat in shock wondering 'what just happened.'

Click the link below if you want more details on the game...

News article about the game.

And so another chapter in our life ends.   I never watched basketball nor knew a thing about the game until Eric started 3rd grade and joined a youth hoop program at WCS.  He is a natural athlete so he took to the game like a duck to water.  For the last 11 years of our lives we have spent countless hours in gyms watching games, countless hours in the car driving to and from games and tournaments and I suffered through countless hours of listening to dribbling of a basketball in my kitchen, basement or driveway.  And honestly, I loved almost every minute of it.  It was a great ride and now I am looking forward to a season of quiet until such a time as I might have little grandchildren running around dribbling a ball.  I'll take Eric's approach and pause for only a minute on the end and start looking ahead to what's next.  For me, it's going to Target today to buy a bunch of things for Sarah to fit in my suitcase to bring to her next week.  Want to know what's on her list?  Peanut Butter, Molasses, Eye Make-up remover, tights, external hard drive, feminine products & Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Oh and some of her spring/summer clothes that are in her closet.  I'm sure I'll find a few other goodies to bring to her as well.

Well, thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you have a great day.  Come back and visit my blog on Friday.  I have a darling birthday card to share with you for the Blogger's Challenge.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

This is a beautiful card!!!

Karen said...

This card is simple but really beautiful, with very nicely balanced elements. The colors are gorgeous and I love that Jane paper!

MariLynn said...

I love the way you worked the challenge into your card. The little touch of pink looks great too. Thanks for sharing with the Stampin' Sisters in Christ challenge. I enjoyed reading about the end of your chapter. My daughter Kristina has been in choir and band since 5th grade, and this week was her last Choir concert and all city band concert. She was honored as a senior at both and I got to accompany her. A little sad to close that chapter, but excited to see what God has written for the rest of the book!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What an elegant card, Linda! I love the pink, pleated ribbon! Beautifully done! :D