Thursday, March 15, 2012

Make it Monday and an update on my running program

Hello Bloggers,

The Make It Monday technique from papertrey ink this week is 'colored kissing.'  I love this technique.  To do it, you stamp a solid stamp image on card stock.  Then add a background stamp image and stamp that on your solid image rubber stamp and then take that image and stamp it on your previously stamped image.  Very fun.

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2012/03/make-it-monday-57-colored-kissing.html

Here is my creation using this technique.  I'm loving orange this year - perfect for a man or woman.

So if you follow my blog, you may remember that about a month ago I started RUNNING.  I stuck with it and can proudly say I have completed the 21 days to a 30 minute running habit.

Below are 10 things that are different because I did this.

1) I am very aware of how different the weather is at 6:30am than the rest of the day.  Sadly, we always seem to have had our worst weather at 6:30 am and I was determined to not let the bad weather keep me from my running program.  One of my songs on my running song list is 'ain't no mountain high enough.'  One verse of the song goes 'no wind, no rain, no winter cold can stop me baby.'  That became my mantra as I ran in wind, rain, snow, and cold! Even though most days these past few weeks have warmed up, there were many, many days these past few weeks when it was 20 degrees at 6:30am.  Brrr.

2) I weigh 4.1 pounds less than I did when I started on February 20th.  It is very hard for me to lose weight.  Even when I follow my weight watcher program, I usually only lose less than 1/2 a pound a week.  With my running program, combined with weight watchers,  I am losing more like 1 pounds a week.

3) I am very aware of the terrain in my neighborhood.  I had no idea there was a slight incline on MacArthur Road. I had no idea there was a slight incline on Brookway.  I really sympathize with Boston Marathoners and the challenge of heart break hill.

4) My clothes fit nicer.  In addition to the weight loss, my legs are thinner and my tummy is smaller.   ( - :

5) Yoga is easier for me.  I used to really struggle with chair pose and warrier poses.  Now that my legs are stronger these poses are significantly easier.

6) I know the routine of the neighborhood in the early morning.  I know that one of the mom's on Brookway drives her daughter to the bus stop at 7:00am.  I know that my neighbor on MacArthur goes out in his ratty blue bathrobe around 6:45 to let his dog pee.  He kind of creeps me out, but at least he hasn't flashed me.  Maybe our neighborhood can take up a collection and buy him a new robe.  His robe looks to be over 10 years old.

7) I have visited the local Lulumon and Lucy stores near my office.  This is a super crazy indulgence, but I bought myself a fun (expensive) running outfit.  It seems crazy to me since no-one sees me running and I am running at early light, but somehow this makes me happy.  I enjoyed picking out a lavender colored jacket, black pants and a matching headband.  Bob got an ipad 3 with our tax refund money.  I got a new running outfit.  He spent way more than me, but that's okay.  Now I just have to wear my fun running outfit instead of grabbing my old sweatshirt.

8) Endorphins baby.  Yes, I do believe it's true.  Running produces endorphins and it puts me in a better mood.

9) I can walk up the stairs and not be out of breath.   I am happily surprised at how much easier other activities are now that I've been running.  I am stronger and my aerobic capacity is noticeably better.

10) Hope.  Since I've accomplished my goal of starting a running program I am very optimistic about my ability to get healthier.  A few years ago my doctor recommended I lose 10 pounds.  Then the following year I proceeded to gain a pound or two.  The  next year the same.  So at the start of 2012, I had about 15 pounds to lose to get to my doctor recommended target.  with my running program I honestly believe I can reach that goal.  Before I started running, it seemed out of reach.

So, the link below is the site I went to for their 21 days to a running habit.  They sent me an e-mail every day with information about my run that day.  The e-mail arrived in my inbox at like 4am, so it was always there for me on my phone before it was time to start.  I also could look ahead to see what the next day or week had in store.  I ran pretty much 5 out of 7 days a week, with some runs shorter than others and the rest days scheduled around the more intense run days.    It was very straightforward and each day I was challenged, but it was always feasible.  

http://running.about.com/c/ec/10.htm

So what's next?  Well, now I'm going to sign up for the next program - 5k training program for beginners and yes, I'll look around for a 5k run that I can do.  Maybe that will be a good time to wear my new running outfit!  More details to come....

http://running.about.com/c/ec/76.htm

Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great day.  If you visit my blog tomorrow, I'll have a beautiful birthday card for bloggers challenge and an update on my upcoming trip to Europe.

6 comments:

rebecca said...

You Go/Run, girl! GREAT accomplishment!! and I like your card too!!!

Mirta Sanchez said...

Great job on everything Linda! You should be very proud of yourself!

Karen said...

Wow, Linda, your card is cute but you are FAB! I am always in awe of your dedication and never more so than now!

Enjoy those endorphins and wear your new outfit with pride!

wrapknot said...

i admire your tenacity! my personal goal was to runa 5k before i hit 50, and last year was my year. i started training in february, made the race in june and kept on going. i had company in the beginning, but now i enjoy the solitude (and endorphin rush) that comes my way. the sense of accomplishment is huge! you go girl!!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

First of all, I love the card, Linda! You have been making some fantastic creations with orange! This technique looks like a lot of fun! Good for you with your running! I'm so proud of you for sticking with it! Way to go! :D

Suzanne Russell said...

Your card is one of the cheeriest among the submissions for the week and i just love the warm orange color and the repetition of the pattern in large and small. Beautifully done. As for the running-I am so happy for you! Keep up the good work and you will succeed at getting healthy.