Friday, May 11, 2012

Baby & Birdies

Hi  Friends,
For today's post I have two cards to share with you.

The first card is for Lisa Somerville's Bloggers Challenge. 

http://www.lisasomerville.com/2012/05/bloggers-challenge-oh-baby.html

Her challenge this week was 'oh baby.'  What fun it is to make baby cards.  At this season of life I have very few opportunities to make baby cards but it is fun to play with baby images and pastels.   I'll add this to my 'stash.' I'm sure it will come in handy one of these days.

So this card, above, uses an old retired image from Stampin up.  This little baby with the words 'too cute' was part of a big set.  I am using a new product - washi tape - that I got from an Etsy store.  Washi tape is super fun and easy.  It is like very versatile patterned paper.  To get the babies sleeper in the polka dot pattern I taped the washi tape on white card stock, stamped the image and fussy cut it out.  I love the simple look of this card with all the white.  I also love buttons so that was fun to add as well.

Want to get your own Washi tape?  Check out this Etsy store: chickydoddle.  They are inexpensive and she has a big selection.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/chickydoddle

So my second card for today is for Papertrey Ink's make it monday challenge.  The challenge this week was to use scraps of patterned paper to make a card.  As they said on the video, most of us have lots of scraps and I certainly had plenty to choose from. 


To start, I gathered a few potential scraps from my scrap bin that I thought may coordinate. 

Then I cut them all to the size of the card base and started adhering them to my white base, making sure that each horizontal layer was an irregular size compared to the others.  In the video they challenge us to carefully consider which paper goes next to each to ensure each color pops. I didn't really focus too much on that since blue and yellow are pretty subtle and I wasn't really sure any combination made any color pop - but I do like how they layer on top of each other and frankly I normally wouldn't be this risky in my project.  I like using paper pads that I know go together to take some of the thinking out of it.  But now that I've done this once, I may try again.  Of course only some of the scraps made it onto the final project but they'll go back in the scrap bin for another project.

So here is the finished project. I wanted to do a long and narrow card for my birdies. I left the sentiment neutral so I can use this for any occasion.

Well, I hope you enjoy this Friday.  Tonight is Eric's prom so stop back on Saturday for another card and photo's of Eric, Jessa and their friends all dolled up and having fun.

4 comments:

Basement Stamper said...

both very cute cards, love that washi tape. So far I've been avoiding it since I have so much patterned paper.

Suzanne Russell said...

Very cute, Linda! I love the pastel color scheme and the little bitty birds are always a great choice!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Delightful cards, Linda! I love the birdies! I think that I'm going to have to try some Washi Tape...looks like a fun accent! I can't wait to see the prom pictures! :D

Jeanette said...

Beautifully done.