Saturday, May 5, 2012

Encouragement for a friend

Hello friends,

I met a new friend this past January.  Her name is Bridget.  She goes to my church and she started attending the bible study I facilitate on Tuesday nights.  She is a super energetic single lady who recently re-located to the Boston area from Virginia.  I have really enjoyed getting to know her.

I was saddened to hear her news a few weeks ago that her rare form of cancer has come back.  She battled it 16 months ago and while she knew it was probably coming back again, no-one expected it to come back so soon.  She starts her radiation and chemotherapy treatment on Monday and I wanted to send her one of many encouragement cards.  I will have this card accompany a packet of gummy bears and my DVD TV show Friday Night Lights Season 1.  So, about this card. I totally CASE'd this card.  CASE'd means copy - plagiarize - outright steal.  Well, maybe not steal.  But I can't take credit for the design or idea one little bit.  I loved how the card I saw had the leaves as blossoms.  I love the tranquility of the simple design.  Since I am not a thief, here is the card Val made and a link to her website.  She should get all the credit for this beautiful design.

 http://paperpsychosis.blogspot.ca/2012/05/mim-64-color-inspiration.html

So, back to Bridget.  She said she has hardly any energy during chemo, so movies and books aren't really an option, but she thought she may watch the Friday Night Lights episodes.  They are short (45 minutes long) and she hasn't seen them before.  Maybe the distraction of a well done drama about people from Texas will bring some joy during a difficult time.  If you have never watched the show, I highly recommend it.  It is a great drama about families and real-life.  It has good character development and thought-provoking plot lines.

Back to Bridget again...  She has chemo and radiation for a few weeks and then surgery.  I'm sure it's a mixed bag when you have recurring cancer.  On one hand you know what to expect.  And the downside of that - well - you know what to expect.  She has a great attitude and her solid faith in Jesus Christ got her through difficult times last time and she'll lean into his strength this time too.  She was diagnosed with her first cancer when she first got to the Boston area and didn't know too many people.  Now, she has more friends and those of us in her church family are eager to help any way we can.  I'll encourage the bible study participants to keep the cards and phone calls heading her way.

Do any of you have experience with encouraging someone with cancer?    If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  My instincts are saying to stay in touch, but not nag and to offer help but not force it on her.  Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer.  And if you believe in the power of prayer, would you take a moment and say a quick prayer for full recovery and strength during treatment for my friend Bridget?

Thanks so much.  Have a great day.

2 comments:

Karen said...

It's a beautiful use of your leafy stamp set and a lovely way to encourage Bridget through her treatment. Your kind attention is surely a blessing to her.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

The card is simply beautiful, Linda! The colors are just perfect. Sending prayers for Bridget. :D