Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Why I am not using pinterest and a crafty card for you to enjoy

Hello friends,

Are you into pinterest?  I know lots of people who are and lots of people love it.  If you don't know what it is, let me enlighten you.  Pinterest is a new internet craze where people (like you and I) can post or share images of things.  And if you see something you like, you can pin it to your board.  It's like when I was a teenager and I had a bulletin board.  I would page through magazines and if I saw an outfit or hairstyle or decorating idea I loved I would clip it out and pin it to my bulletin board.  This is just an on-line version of that activity and boy is it addictive!  Want to check it out... click the link below.

http://pinterest.com/

I used it for a while and have now I have decided to 'quit' pinterest.  Do you want to know why?  Well of course you do, but please don't feel that I'm trying to convince YOU not to love pinterest, I'm just sharing my view point.  I hope and pray that your aren't offended, just opened to another way of looking at things.

Pinterest made me unhappy.  It made me feel inadequate.  It made me think that everyone else can make beautiful cupcakes that look like bunnies or look like a supermodel wearing shorts and flip-flops.  And I don't like to feel inadequate or unhappy.

Many years ago I had a subscription to Better Homes and Garden's.  I paid about $15.00 a year to feel that my house was inadequate and my meatloaf didn't look sumptuous.  Oh, my home was very comfy and my meatloaf was plenty tasty, but in the magazine they would arrange things just so, and spend an unlimited amount of time and money to make it PERFECT.  They did that with food, decorations, gardens; Everything.  I sadly, did not have unlimited time and money and thus my house and food looked - well quite ordinary.  And frankly there is nothing wrong with ordinary.  As a matter of fact, if you've experienced a season of life that was chaotic, having a season of life that is ordinary is WONDERFUL.   I finally wised up and cancelled my subscription.  I realized I was paying money and spending time intentionally setting myself up to covet.  Coveting is wanting what I don't have.  The magazine was causing me to be unsatisfied with my life and frankly I should be spending my time and energy being content.

Have you heard of people who adopt 'life verses?'  These are people who have one particular bible verse really speak to them, to the point that they dedicate their lives or actions to what the verse teaches.  Many, many years ago, I adopted the verse 'but godliness with contentment comes great gain.'  One of my life goals is to live a godly life and be content in any circumstance I find myself in.  I think saying 'no' to pinterest is one way I can live out my life verse.

So, if you like pinterest, please don't let me deter you from something you really enjoy, but I thought today I would share with you why I am saying 'no' to pinterest.

Oh, and my crafty card for you to see?  The below fun project was made for my friend who is undergoing chemotherapy this week.  I loved the sentiment 'don't you worry about a thing.'  I thought it may be a good reminder for her.  Inside I'll include the verse 'Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths;... for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long.' Psalm 25:4-5


This card includes this beautiful twine and natural colored card stock KRAFT so it qualifies as my weekly entry into the Stampin Sisters for Christ weekly challenge.  It also uses the colors from playdate cafe, so I'm sharing that with that group as well.


Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great day.

11 comments:

Karen said...

What a pretty little bird on your card!

And I'm with you about Pinterest. I looked at it a couple of times, and while there were some really cool and lovely photos to contemplate, I recognized right away that it would waste a great deal of my time. I don't tend to use inspiration photos for my stamping projects anyway so it would have ended up just getting me "lost in (cyber) space". I do enough of that looking at blogs, where I do get inspiration (so that time spent is easier to justify).

And you're right: comparing our lives, our homes, our perfectly great attempts at providing nourishment and comfort to our families with the commercial artifice presented in such magazines or a site like Pinterest just sets us up to covet things we don't need. Better to look around and appreciate the bounty we're blessed with.

Denise said...

Your card is lovely and I know it will bring encouragement to your friend. Thanks so much for joining us in the Cafe.

Diane said...

What a pretty card...love the colors. Thanks so much for including it in our Stampin' Sisters in Christ challenge this week. We are so happy you decided to share your fabulous creation with us.

Alicia said...

that bird is lovely... and I totally get the pinterest thing. Thanks for sharing with us at The Play Date Cafe! :)

ScrappySandie said...

Hi Linda! Your card is adorable and I 'm sure your friend will appreciate it. The sentiment is perfect! Great reminder! And I also agree about the Pinterest thing...thanks for expaling what it is! I know I don't need another thing to get me even busier online but the coveting thing....I know exactly what you mean! I also quit getting Better Homes and Gardens for the same reasons! You are so right, there is nothing wrong with ordinary, especially when its packed with love! And I can tell you love your family! You go Girl!
Oh, and thanks so much for joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!
Hugs! Sandie

ScrappySandie said...

Oops! "expaling" = explaining !!
Sorry!
Sandie

yrd said...

I love the card...so beautiful. I know she will find it encouraging.

As for pinterest I see your point to a degree but find that for me its a way to organize my projects and ideas. As with any published venue when used as a guide and resource it can be a great tool.

MariLynn said...

I throughly enjoyed reading your post about pintrest. I think you are correct about it causing discontent. It is also a way to waste a lot of time. I like the not worrying sentiment. I needed that reminder myself today. Thanks for sharing with the Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge. I hope you are having a blessed week!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This card is a beauty too, Linda! The colors are simply wonderful together! :D

Karen Letchworth said...

WOW, this is great - and you did an awesome job combining it into all your challenges. I hope this is your lucky week. I can tell you this - we would really LOVE to have you link this up at Word Art Wednesday. We'd really love to have you play along with us! I hope you will at least check us out and play along when you can.
Blessings,
Karen L
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

Helen said...

Hi, Linda! I love your card! Those colors are wonderful together and that little bird is beautiful! Thank you for playing with us at SSiC!