Thursday, June 7, 2012

Graduation card for Jessa

Hi friends,

Well Friday June 8th is the big day.  Eric graduates from Whitinsville Christian School. People have asked me how I feel about this and I say 'happy' but if I was honest I would also say 'surprised' only because it has come upon us all so quickly.  My wise cousin Lin says 'you succeeded as a parent if you raised a self-sufficient child' and that is true, so we are happy and celebrating a milestone.  I'm sure I'll have much more mixed emotions when we bring Eric to Clemson University in August, but this week, it's all about celebrating the class of 2012.

Eric's girlfriend of 1 1/2 years is also graduating on Friday.  She loves the beach and is a darling young lady.  I made this beach scene card for her graduation and used the scripture verse from Philippians because it is such great advise for anyone.  Don't you think life is too short to think about some things?  I do.  I think the council here to set our minds on thinking about noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy things.  It certainly helps me avoid letting my mind go wild on fear, uncertainty, doubt and other unproductive thoughts.  That's why I love this verse for graduation.

So before I go, let me tell you a bit about this super fun card I made.  No, the background is NOT patterned paper.  This whole creation was all stamped.  Sunday I went to the Heirloom Creations Stamping show in Springfield MA. My friend Maureen lingered at a booth Rubberneckers and Kimberly and I got a demo of this set from a sweet lady Anne who was a bundle of energy.  The sky is made with Tim Holz distressed ink and a mask made of scalloped ovals.  The shoreline is made 'sandy' with antique linen ink sponged on lightly. Then the sea is made with blue ink sponged on over a straight edge mask.  Too easy and too cool.  Then the fence, sand, grass and seagulls are stamped on top and the shimmering glitter is added with a tad of glue.



This is my current favorite stamp set.   I just love the possibilities and splurged and got the add-on accessories as well.  You can check out their website below.

http://www.rubbernecker.com/m-117-kittie-kits-cause-a-scene-sets.aspx

Now I have to get busy making Eric's card.  Ugghh.  Masculine cards are so much harder and I should not have procrastinated.  Let's hope I'm not up past midnight working on his card. I have it to give him on graduation day and, as usual, there are a million things that need to get done after I get home from work tonight before I can hit the craft room.

Oh, and one last thing.  This card is for the craft a scene challenge.

All month long you can enter your 'craft a scene card' in their challenge.  This month's theme is beaches.  Perfect.

http://craftascene.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Karen said...

This card is gorgeous! Love the stamp set, too. It looks like a lot of fun to work with, with so many beautiful possibilities.

The verse from Phillipians is one that has inspired me in the past... it is great advice for a graduate (or anyone!)

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is GORGEOUS, Linda! You did such a beautiful job with this set! Love the clouds! Anne would be so proud! I'm sold...I need this set! :D

NancyD said...

Hi Linda, I just love your scene and the sentiment too. Lovely sparkly water effect! Don't forget to mention us in your post and link back too. Thanks for joining us at Craft a Scene. So glad you decided to link up your cards. NancyD

Deanna said...

Splendid scene love the sentiment and the design~just lovely :)

Nancy said...

Love your card! The glitter is really pretty and the design is gorgeous :)

Scrap Affair said...

Linda love your sea! :) Just the way I like it-sparkly!
Thanks for joining us at Craft a Scene.
Nadia

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful card! Love your beach, sea and clouds. The glitter adds a great touch and that sentiment is awesome. I am so sorry for your friend. Thank you for playing along at Craft a Scene!!