Monday, July 23, 2012

Mermaid Girl

Hi friends,

Do you dread Mondays?  I don't love them, but thankfully I don't dread them either.  It's just hard getting up to that alarm at 5:50 you know? 

For today's post, I have a mermaid card to share with you using 'Your Next Stamp.'  I only have a few of these stamp sets but I love them.  


So before I go today let's talk about nails.  Do you 'have nails?'  I always had the worst nails.  I was a nail biter for most of my life.  I would get a manicure (or tips) for a special occasion, but day to day my nails were a disaster.  I've been much better about biting my nails lately so I started getting regular manicures a few years ago.  I never did master the art of 'doing my own nails.'  When I put polish on myself it was always uneven, polish on the cuticles or smudged.  So I went to the local Asian Nail Salon when I could and got a nice manicure and for 3-4 days my nails looked darn good.  I only got a manicure about once a month, so the other 27 days may nails looked 'so-so' but I would time the manicures around events so my nails looked good at just the right time.

And recently they started advertising Gel Manicures.  They were expensive (almost twice the price of a regular manicure) but they said it would last 2-3 weeks.  Last summer before I went on my 2 week Asia business trip I had one done and it was great.  Fabulous looking nails the whole time.  Then at Christmas I had another Gel manicure and again, all through Christmas and into the New Year I had beautiful nails.  I was sold.  I was going to Gel forever. Then I got a really bad Gel manicure.   It started peeling up almost right away (the girl did it in a hurry and touched the skin in several places.)  So I went to another salon and had another bad Gel manicure.  Same thing.  So I went back to the once a month 3-4 days of nice nails with a regular manicure. 

I was talking to someone and they said that the products really do vary.  With so many people getting into the gel market there are some watered down polishes and some poorly trained technicians.  They said it really is all about where you go. 

So, I discovered Ulta next to the Wegmans in Northboro.  They use only OPI products so I decided to give them a try.  I had the best gel manicure there with Heidi.   It lasted a full two weeks and was perfect.  My nails have looked fabulous and now I'm planning on going every two weeks.  It is my new guilty pleasure.   I figure I pack my own lunch every day and I'll use my monthly allowance on this splurge.  Am I crazy?  What do you think?    Thanks for visiting today and sharing your opinion.

3 comments:

Karen (Your Next Stamp) said...

I love your sweet mermaid card Linda! Thank you for joining us for our YNS 'Anything Goes' challenge!

I have gel nails and I've been going to the same place for over 10 years! It started off as acrylic nails and switched to gel when it became popular. I dread the day my gal retires because it really is hard to find someone to trust with all the different products out there! Enjoy your guilty pleasure!

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Cute card! I think life is short and you should enjoy what you can!!! :) I treat myself to gels once in a while, Starbucks, PTI orders- whatever strikes me. :) I figure so long as I can afford it, I'm going to go for it. :) (and it helps the economy!)

Suzanne Bier said...

Love your adorable mermaid card! Thanks for joining in our "Anything Goes" challenge at Your Next Stamp!

I don't get my nails done, but I do enjoy a weekly Starbucks splurge, so I understand the feeling of happiness an occasional splurge can bring!