Thursday, August 16, 2012

I was published in CARDS magazine!

Hi friends,

Last night there was a happy package on my doorstep from Northridge publishing.  I had submitted a card for their June issue and they mailed me my card back, 2 copies of the magazine and some paper-crafting supplies.

Want to see???

Here is the cover (no I did not get featured on the cover - at least not this time!)

I submitted my card for their style challenge.  They have colors and a 'topic.'  The colors were navy blue, light blue and yellow and the topic was clouds.

 Here is my card in the magazine.  Don't they make it look pretty?
It was quite exciting to thumb through the magazine looking for my name!

And here is my card (as I photograph it in my little shadow box.)

I'm working on a few cards to include in their February and March publication.  I don't know if they'll pick any of them up, but I'll submit them and see what happens.  Getting the box upped my motivation to submit some more.  I had not submitted anything all summer and am now inspired to get back into it.  The few downsides to submitting cards are:  1) They have to be perfect.  If there are any boo-boo's, you have to fix them.  They don't take any that are less than perfect.  2) you have to keep track of your supplies.  Often I grab a scrap of paper or other supply and don't recall who made it and what it's name is.  When you submit you need to include a supply list.  3) You have to make cards in alternate seasons.  So now, I'm in the mood to make summer/fall cards.  But they are calling for winter/spring cards - so it can be weird to be making Valentine Day cards in August, but that is what they are looking for.  For northridge you upload a photo of your card on their website. Then about a week after the deadline they e-mail you if they are interested.  At that time you mail them the card and your instructions/supply list.  If you don't get an e-mail, you sell or use your card.  It's really not that big a deal, just takes a little time and prep.

So, I can now say 'I've been published.'  Strike one off my 'bucket list.'  Do you have a crafting ambition to be published?  What publications have you submitted to?  Any success?  From what I can tell, it's a numbers game.  Just keep submitting and don't get discouraged.  Generally the magazine has a theme and if your card matches what you want - good - if not, it doesn't mean your work isn't good, it's just not what they wanted for that issue.

Thanks for visiting my blog today and sharing in my happy moment.

1 comment:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

CONGRATULATIONS, my Friend! I am so happy for you! :D