Monday, August 27, 2012

YNS challenge 12 and What's going on in the (empty) nest

Hi friends,

First, I made a second card for the YNS sketch challenge #12.  I wanted to practice my hair coloring so I experimented with a strawberry blonde.

 I thought Ellie's boots liked like UGG's so I added some cream flowersoft to reflect the fur lining on UGG's.

I also decided to add some shine to Ellie's heart on her hair band.  Glossy accents work great for this.
 As for the hair, you  can see on the close-up how many different colors I used to try to get the effect of the strawberry blonde.  I think I need some more YR copics to really do this color scheme justice.  It's way more blonde than red, but I think she looks awesome.

So I thought I'd give you a quick update on what's new in the empty nest.

This week we sold the piano.  The downsizing begins.   We plan to put the house on the market in January so it seemed appropriate to sell the piano now before we do anything else.

I also packed two care packages.  One for Eric and one for Sarah.  Eric got home-made peanut butter cookies and a few things he left behind.  Sarah's includes power adapters that she can't get in Ukraine.

We skyped with Eric yesterday and he's doing great.  He loves school, but is a little intimidated by Calculus.  He has lots of options for extra help and I think he'll do okay if he puts the work in and gets the help that's available.  He can also choose to drop this class and take the Calc 106 (he is in Calc 108) by next week if he really thinks it's beyond him.

Sarah is in love and happily telling the world about it.  If you want check out her blog post.
http://sarahkatemonroe.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-post-youve-been-waiting-for.html
As for Bob and I, we are doing fine.  We are adapting to the new quiet household.  I am enjoying only having 3 loads of laundry to do a week and grocery shopping this week was a bargain.  I'm trying to increase my mileage with my running.  My sister and I may run a 5k together in October and want to be able to run the whole thing in a reasonable amount of time.  I have 4 pounds to go till I reach my goal weight and I'm hoping to get there before October 1st.  Increasing my running and taking a Zumba class each week should help on that front.   

Well, so much for brief.   I'll try to work on that for next time.  Thanks for visiting my blog today.  Have a great day.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Love your strawberry blonde girl! And you seem to be adapting to your quieter lifestyle. It's nice that you have more time to take care of yourself...

wendy said...

super sweet card!, cute boots too! thanks for joining us at Your Next Stamp

Julie E said...

Fab chevron! What a way to interpret the sketch. What a cute blondie. Thanks for joining us at YNS!