Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bright and Fun

Hi friends,

The challenge over at Stampin Sisters in Christ is to make a bright card based on Romans 3:23-24

"For everyone has sinned, we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Jesus Christ when he freed us from the penalty for our sins."
Romans 3:23,24


http://stampinsistersinchrist.blogspot.com/2012/09/challenge-156-romans-323-24_9.html

What better stamp set to use for this 'bright' challenge than my new Taylored Expression set - Adventure Land.

 I combined this with my October Afternoon papers and went with a very girly pink theme.  I think this is adorable for a young girl.
So, let's talk for a minute about my stamping budget, my desire to branch out to different stamp companies, the concept of rubberdultery and how great an experience I had with Taylored Expressions.

So, first, my budget.  I can go a little over-board with the stampin supplies.  It's sooo easy to do.  I mean each item isn't expensive by itself, but when you fill an on-line cart or a basket at the local stampin store, suddenly your total is over $50.00.  And if you go on-line or to your LSS more than once a month, before you know it you've spent over 100.00 a month.  And that equals 1,200.00 a year.   And believe me, it can be well over that by the time you add in gifts and holiday supplies etc.  So, I really, really, really try to stick to a reasonable stamping budget of around $50.00 a month.  

But I have discovered some ways to stretch my budget.  First, I don't pass up opportunities to sell my cards. I don't advertise, I don't do craft fairs, I don't sell them etsy, but if someone asks me if they can buy my cards I say yes.  So this summer I got a job for 2 dozen cards and the money I got ($58.00) went for new supplies.  I also discovered that there is a market for used stamps and dies.  I don't know about you, but I don't always use all the stamps I buy as much as I think I will.  After I've had a set for over a year if I feel I've finished with it, I will list it for sale.  Last week I posted a bunch of PTI and MFT stamps on the PTI forum and got $60.00 in paypal money for them.  And that can go for supplies.

So with my cash windfall from the forum, I decided to buy a few new sets from Taylored Expressions.  I haven't bought a lot from them, but love the fun style of their stamps.  Are you a one stamp company kind of stamper?  I used to be.  When I first started I only bought Stampin Up.  Then I branched out to Papertrey and found that most of the time all my stamping budget was going to them.  But this year I am branching off and using all kinds of other companies.  You've seen me use DeNami, Your Next Stamp, There She Goes, Impression Obsession & now Taylored Expression.  My friend Karen said at Stampin Up there is an expression called Rubberdultery.  A play on words of rubber and adultery.  As a SU demonstrator it would often feel like cheating if you bought another companies products.  Since I don't represent any company, I feel like I'm 'single' and it's perfectly okay to play the field.  I like it that way.

And before I go, let me give a little plug for my awesome experience with Taylored Expression.  They had a new release Thursday night.  As part of their anniversary celebration, all orders of $50.00 would get a free belated birthday set.  I placed my order late on Friday afternoon.  I was so pleasantly surprised to get my box in the mail on Monday night.  That is just awesome.  So darn fast during release time.  And they sent me a small pack of starbursts with my order.  Yum.   So here is my goodie pack.

I am super excited to play with these new sets and am also happy that my old sets are now at new homes where they will get some good loving.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.  Have a great day.


3 comments:

Plastic cards said...

This card is so stunning. Pretty fun design. I really appreciate this adorable creation. Thanks for sharing.

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Hi Linda! I really enjoyed reading your story!! Great job on making your supplies 'work' for you! LOL. I'm happy you are loving TE. It is such a wonderful company to be involved with. LOVE your cards for the TE Last Card Standing... Have a blessed day and a great week to come. XOXOXO Wanda

Helen said...

Love your pinks and greens in this card! It's super adorable and the perfect birthday card! Thank you for sharing it with us at Stampin Sisters in Christ! Blessings! ~H