Monday, September 10, 2012

Impression Obsession Challenge and 'what's new in the {empty} nest'

Hi friends,

Today's post includes a card for I/O's challenge 'favorite quote or saying.'

I have this I/O sentiment called 'enjoy the simple things in life' that I love.

http://mitrafriant.typepad.com/impression_obsession_news/2012/09/favorite-quotesaying-challenge-a-new-dt-member.html


The weather turned cooler today (YEAH) so it seemed perfect timing to get out this beautiful autumn scene.

I split the image into three panes to add some visual interest to the card.  I also wanted to put my sentiment on top of the image but loved that pumpkin so I cut it out (there is a hole behind the sentiment) and adhered the pumpkin back on the card in the lower right.

This card uses I/O Fall Porch H1846 and I/O A11018B.   The papers are from my mind's eye and the frame around the sentiment is from Stampin Up.

So, there isn't a lot of news from the {empty} nest.  Bob and I (and the dogs) have settled into a new rhythm of life that is quite a bit slower and quieter than the pace we have historically enjoyed.  I really do miss the old life, but am embracing the beauty and quiet of the new.  Joey dog is really getting old and slowing.  Each month he shows more and more of his age.  We kid around a lot about him being annoying and smelling bad, but I'm starting to change my tune a bit with him.  I don't think he'll be around much longer and I'll miss him terribly when he's gone.  Tank is still adorable and puppy like.  I think when Joey's time comes, Tank will be a significant source of joy and companionship for me to help me deal with the loss.  I know many of you are animal lovers who have suffered through the loss of a pet.  I think it's going to be way harder than I want it to be when his time comes.  Even though I say he's going to live forever (just to spite us) I know that's not true and I am trying to keep him comfortable in his old age.  We got him just about 13 years ago this month.....  wow - that feels like a long time ago.....  He may have quite a bit of life left in him, but he is definitely showing his age lately.

In addition to paying attention to the doggies, both Bob and I have been busy at church.  Fall is 'kick-off' time for many of the bible studies, events and groups at our church - Faith Community Church of Hopkinton.  Bob is busy with his work as a church elder and he still is a key person at our welcome desk for new families.  I lead a Tues Eve women's bible study.  We switched to a fellowship gathering during the summer - no formal study - just prayer requests and chatting.  We will start our new study on September 25th so I'm busy connecting with women to get them to join. I'm so happy that 3 of the ladies who participated in the study last year are going to lead their own study.  3 years ago I was the only evening leader.  For September we'll have 5.  So I am the mentor for some of the others and have been busy building their confidence and helping people choose which group to join.  If I do it right I may not have to lead a study at all.  Maybe I can get enough leaders so I am only the sub for all of them!!!!  We'll see what God has planned.

And, of course, the nest is busy with the sounds of football.  Clemson was on Saturday, but sadly we would have had to pay Direct TV $25.00 to watch the game.  I don't think so.  Instead we just got the scores on-line and saw the highlights on the sports stations.  Sunday, our beloved Patriots had their first regular season game.  They did great and we pulled off our first W for the season.  I felt bad for the rookie quarterback on the Titan's team.  If I was a rookie QB I would not want my first NFL game experience to be against Brady.

We have a nice new routine of skyping with Eric on Sunday afternoons.  He seems to be doing great.  He's got a group of friends and they seem to be enjoying all that college has to offer.  He doesn't seem as overwhelmed with his classes now that they have been going for a few weeks.  It's a big transition from HS to college.  I think it helps that he has most of his classes in the morning.  That way he's up and about and while his friends are in afternoon classes, that is his time to do homework and study.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow, Linda! One of my favorite images and you really did it justice. It is beautiful and the sentiment is perfect for it! Thanks for playing and good luck in the drawing too, Linda!

Vicki Garrett said...

This is gorgeous! I love the main image behind your quote. Fabulous!!!

Thanks for playing with us at IOStamps!

Craftyfield said...

By cutting up your image into a triptych you made it new ! Love the subtle color scheme.

Ellen said...

Love the way you did your image! Fab sentiment and details!!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful card with the fabulous image & quote.

Katie said...

Love your card design and this image paired with the design paper. Also love how you centered the dog and cat. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.