Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Some Winter themed cards and 'what's new in the {empty} nest update



Hi friends,  It’s been a little while since I gave you an update on our life.  

But first two winter themed cards to share with you.

The first card is for PTI's make it monday.  The technique is to create floating die cut images on a window card.  This was super fun. I love this technique and hope to do it again.  I love the unique effect.  This card uses 'on my couch' combined with a sentiment from 'on ice.'


The second card is for Your Next Stamps sketch challenge.  I had fun coloring in this tobaggen girl and cutter her out.  The snow is made with stickles.

So what’s new in the nest? 

Well, we survived ‘Frankenstorm.’  That is the nick name of the combo storm that started with hurricane Sandy coming up the southern coast and meeting an artic storm heading down from the north. Thankfully, for us, it didn’t have a big impact.  We never lost power, we didn’t have any trees down in the yard and I got out of work at 1:30 Monday afternoon.  I hit a few road closures on my commute to work Tuesday, but traffic was light so it wasn’t a big deal at all.

I am     s l o w l y     downsizing stuff in anticipation of putting the house on the market in early 2013.   I went into my craft closet a few weeks ago and realized I must get rid of a lot of my under-utilized stamping supplies.  I have my 'most frequently used' supplies at my desk, in the baskets in the desk or on the wall in my printer drawer turned shelf.  And then I have all the other stuff in the closet.  I am using a number of selling outlets including Papertrey Inks forum and ebay to unload anything in the closet.  I had a few moments of nostalgia as I photographed my Stampin Up sets.  Some of the sets I put up for auction were my first ever sets and it brought back fond memories of my initial projects and excitement with stamping.  I refused to allow myself to hold on to any of the sets though, just because of the fond memories.  I am not using these sets now so they served their purpose and it’s time for them to get new homes and be loved by someone else.


I was happy to make $120.00 in ebay sales for 10 stamp sets.  I have another 10 up for sale now and I've hit my e-bay selling limit for October so I'll wait and list 20 more in November.  I'm pleased with my sales.  That’s an average of $12.00 per set and while I’m certainly not making any money (I’m sure they cost me @ 25.00 a set plus shipping), I’m happy to get some money back for them.  Guess which stamp sold for $63.00?  Can you believe that SU Branch Out had a bidding war?  I guess it’s discontinued now and hard to get.  Someone really wanted that set.  I hope they love it. It is a fun set, but I’m not using it anymore.
Next up to get auctioned off?  Books.  I realized there is a market for used books and we have a ton of them.  I’m going to post them on Amazon next month and clear them out.  I don’t think there is much money in them, but I’d just love to see them go to someone who wants them.

It is time consuming.  I have to get the stamps - ensure they are complete and clean, then photograph them and list them.  Once the auction ends I have to quickly generate a paypal invoice and then once payment is received head to the US post office and mail them within a day.  I schedule my auctions to end around days I know I can get to the post office.  10 at a time isn't a burden and for $120.00 it's worth it to me.
 
Next month I will start going through the closets and purging.  I’m not looking forward to that – especially my bathroom closets.  I’m sure there are many toiletry items and medications way past their expiration dates that will need to be tossed.  I hate tossing things away that I paid good money for.  Sigh.  It makes me want to re-consider my purchasing patterns.  It reminds me that my life style still has a lot of waste in it.

So what else is happening?  Well tomorrow is halloween.  We usually get a ton of trick or treaters.  We have the perfect neighborhood for it and kids always come in carloads or in groups.  I figure it's just about a mile to hit the whole development and I'm guessing there are 50 houses so kids that don't mind walking can really rake in the candy.  I have two big baskets of candy.   I think I have 75 pieces of fun size treats.  I hope I get rid of almost all of it, but don't run out.  Usually Eric and his friends help get rid of it, but it's just Bob and I this year and while I could easily eat all of it, that would not be good.

Speaking of candy, I continue to be 2-4 pounds away from my goal weight.  I have not been able to get back on track this month but really want to focus and get it off before Thanksgiving.

Well, that's about it.  Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.  I hope you have an awesome day.

5 comments:

Cindy H. said...

Both cards are beautiful! Love the color combos and designs. Glad you survived the "Frankenstorm" without any problems - it was a scary storm.

artful-notions said...

Love the peek-a-boo card for MIM.
So glad all turned out well during the storm.

Jacquie Southas said...

love the design of your cards - good luck on the purging - after 4 moves in 9 years, I've managed to keep most areas under control - it is really hard to let go of crafty items though.

Karen (Your Next Stamp) said...

Beautiful cards! Thank you for joining us for our YNS sketch challenge! So glad you are safe and warm.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Terrific cards, Linda! Love the sledding girl! I so need to clean out some things too! You have certainly inspired me! I just need to have school slow down so that I can get it ready for eBay! :D