Monday, November 19, 2012

Goal

Hi friends,

If you regularly read my blog, you probably know that I've been building some new healthy habits that include exercise and diet.  You may also know that I've been close to my goal weight (doctor set and higher than weight watcher standards) for at least 6 weeks now.  Well, I have good news!  On Friday I reached my goal weight on the weight watcher scale.   Happy Day.

I lost 20 pounds over 9 1/2 months.

So, we'll start with the 'after' picture.  It's not my favorite photo (quick shot this morning by DH before leaving for work) but you get the idea.


And now for the 'before' pictures.

Here is a 'face' shot from summer of 2011

And this is a shot of me in October 2011

And here I am in January 2012


So around May of 2012 I started taking pictures of myself in my yoga outfit to do a true comparison of before and after.

May
July

 August

November


Wow, I can really see the inches I lost in my hips and thighs.  When you are only 5 foot 3 inches, 20 pounds is a few dress sizes and it's noticeable, not just in the hips and thighs, but also in my face.  Thank goodness, no more double chin!

So, do you want to know what I did to lose the weight?  Well, first, I joined weight watchers (again.)  WW is a great program where you make choices about food.  So if you really want M&M's, you can have them, you just have to plan around it.   I modified the foods I eat (less processed carbohydrates, more protein and veggies.)  I also modified the portions I eat.  I used to grab seconds all the time, now I'm much more aware of my hunger and satisfaction level and don't automatically grab for the spoon for more.  Lastly, I increased my activity.  At first, I was just doing yoga once or twice a week.  Then in early March I started jogging.  Later in the summer I started going to Zumba class once a week and in October I started going to a 5:30am spin class.  My current schedule looks like this:

Monday: 45 min's spin class
Tuesday: Rest
Wed: 4 mile jog & Hot Yoga
Thurs: 45 min's Zumba class
Fri: 2 mile jog
Sat: Regular Yoga
Sun: 2 mile jog

Plus, most days I hula hoop for about 7 minutes.

I am really hopeful that I will be able to maintain my weight loss this time.  I plan to stay with weight watchers, attend meetings and weigh in once a month.  I also plan to keep the same exercise levels.  If you have been successful at keeping a weight loss off, please let me know what worked for you.  I really don't want to gain this weight back!

So what did I do to celebrate?  No, I did not go out to dinner!!!  Ha Ha!  Instead I went to Lululemon and bought a winter running outfit: Ice Queen Pants (fleece lined and oh so comfy) an insulated fleecy top and a fun headband.   My jeans don't fit anymore so I also went to White House/Black Market outlet in Wrentham and got some fun new jeans with bling on the back pockets.  While there, they had a fun silver/grey cardigan and white bling tank that were marked down to next to nothing so I had to get those too.  It's so fun to buy clothes in size medium that fit well.  Last year I would be in large and extra large sizes and even those would barely fit.

So, now we are heading into the holidays.   I'll have to be focused on choosing my favorites and not going over-board with the sweets and rich foods.    Thanksgiving I am running my first race: a five mile race in Whitinsville.  It will take me over an hour to run it, but I'll do it and then I won't have to feel bad about eating a slice of pie.




1 comment:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Congratulations, my friend! You look fantastic! Hope that your race went well today, and I hope that you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving! :D