Thursday, December 6, 2012

Expressing Love

This is my third blog in my 12 blogs of Christmas series.

For many, Christmas is a time to draw near to family and friends and express love in a variety of forms.

Think of these four common methods of expressing and receiving love.

First, there is the expression of love with words.   Think of someone who picks out a super sappy card and looks someone in the eye when they greet them with the heartfelt words 'I love you.'

Second, there is the expression of love with gifts.   Many of us go out of our way to think of the just right gift for someone, shop for it, wrap it up special and deliver it carefully to the recipient.

A third expression of love is acts of service.   Think of the people you know who scrape the ice off a loved ones car windshield early in the morning, maybe brew coffee and hand deliver a cup or offer to run an errand for you.  Another way this is expressed is through a coupon book - maybe some hand made coupons good for lawns mowed or back rubs.

A fourth expression of love is spending time together.  These are the people who adjust their plans to go to the wedding or party to see people.  These are people who clear their calendars to attend a child's game to cheer them on or block off an afternoon to be with someone.

At Christmas, how nice is it that we express love in all these methods.   Most of us, spend time with others, buy gifts, do things for others and say 'I love you.'

For me I find it very easy to do things for people but the other methods of expressing love don't come so natural for me.  The one I find hardest is the first one, saying 'I love you.'   I have no idea why that is, but it just 'feels funny' to me to send a sappy card or say 'I love you.'  I need to work on that.  Why?  Well, from my experience, each of us feels love the most by one of these expressions.  I know for me that I feel most loved when people do acts of service for me.  That is my 'love language.'  Sure I like gifts and hanging out with people.  And of course I like to hear I love you, but if you really want to tell me you love me, do something for me. My dear husband knows this about me and he is AWESOME at showing me love in this way.  Yes, he is the one who would turn my car on in the morning to warm it up.  He will hand deliver a coffee to me first thing in the morning.  Last year there was a glitch in the delivery of my iphone 5.  I had a prior commitment and couldn't drive to the Fed Ex location, but my DH drove out of his way on a Friday night to get it for me.  Believe me, I FELT LOVED.  So as I know that this is my love language, I realize that for others they feel that kind of love other ways.   So I know that I need to learn to express love in all the methods so I can be sure I am expressing love in a way they understand.

So this Christmas and into next year, don't be surprised if out of the blue I utter the words 'I love you.'  No it's not a new revelation.  If I say this to you, I've probably always loved you.  But what will be new for me is becoming comfortable finally saying it.  I hope it's only a little bit awkward and I figure, like so many things, with time I will grow more comfortable with saying it more often.

Oh and I have a fitting crafty item to share with you today.  This is a card I made for my Dad.  Yup, I had no problem working on a handmade card for him.  Yup, it took me over an hour.  Yup, this is me expressing love in a way that I know how to, doing something for someone.  But I will also, express the words 'I love you' in a phone call just to be sure my Dad knows how I feel about him.  I'm pretty sure his love language is acts of service also, but it doesn't hurt to speak more than one language, don't you agree?



What do you think your love language is?  Will you consider expressing love in alternate ways this Christmas?  Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.  Make it a great day.

John 13:34-35 
34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love this post, and I love this quote from John - it is one I remind myself of often.

And I LOVE YOU!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a beautiful post, Linda! Knowing how chatty I am, you know that my first way to let someone know that I love them is to simply tell them. I find the older that I get, the easier it is to say. :D

Kimberly Gajewski said...

PS. How sweet is this card!! Love it, and my golfing boys would love it too! :D