Monday, December 10, 2012

Immanuel

Today's post is blog number 5 in my '12 blogs of Christmas series.'  Thanks for visiting, have a great day.

Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).


How do you feel about the idea of God being with you?  Does this conjure up thoughts of 'meeting your maker' during your final breaths?  Does this instead bring up thoughts of having to be on your best behavior while God is with you - kind of like being good for an hour at church - wearing your best clothes - putting on your best good girl face and then breathing a sigh of relief when you are home again and can 'be yourself?'

I don't really know what I think about the idea of Immaneuel - God with us.  I know the Sunday School answer - I know in my mind that as a christian I worship a living God, one who is manifested in the trinity as father, son and holy spirit and therefore 'with me' and 'for me' all the time, but honestly I don't usually walk around all day long feeling like I have the creator of the universe by my side.  I know people who feel that way.  I have had many experiences where I've felt God's presence in difficult and joyful experiences.  But I just get busy with life... going for a run, commuting to work, answering e-mails, participating in web ex meetings, making dinner...... and I just don't spend a lot of my moments of the day considering that God is with me.  

Several years ago I read a the book 'practicing the presence of God' written by Brother Laurence.  He often had very mundane jobs at the monestery and to get through the drudgery of the day he practiced praying to God all the time.  For a while I tried the techniques in his book about being in God's presence 24/7.  I don't even think I got to 24 minutes out of a 24 hour day.

But even though I don't feel God's presence in my day to day life, I live my life based on that truth.  I know that I was created by God for His purpose.  I know that I am most content when I am following his lead and instructions for life as written out in the bible.  I know that I am happiest when I am generous, loving and humble.  I also know that when I am afraid or overwhelmed I cry out to God and He hears me.  So while I don't feel God in my day to day actions, I know he is there anyway.  I guess it's like a lot of things.  Aren't there times when you don't feel loved, but later when you consider it again from a different perspective you see that your feelings were deceiving?  I think that is how it is with Immanuel.  I don't always feel that God is with me, but that doesn't make it not so.

So what about you?   Does the idea of having God with you intrigue you?  I hope so.  Even if the thought is scary - why don't you explore it further by attending a local church service and/or talking to someone? Even though you may be afraid of God, you don't need to be.  Simply confessing your sins and approaching God with humility will cause him to accept you.  And if you are like me, a christian who believes in the power of God and you have asked Jesus in your heart, yet you  don't feel His presence, won't you live your life as if this is the truth, even if in many moments it doesn't feel that way? This Christmas why not allow God to be with you?

1 comment:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Love this sweet card, Linda! This has got Kimberly written all over it...lol! Your post really resonates with me today. We will have to talk soon! :D