Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Serenity House update and a few cards

Hi all,

So last night some of the ladies from my Tuesday Eve bible study came with me to the Serenity House and we made cards with the ladies.  From what I can tell most of the ladies are recovering from drug and alcohol addictions and this is a transition house for them to get back on their feet and into a normal life.

It was a really nice evening.  the ladies (all ages) were genuinily appreciative of our efforts.  Some were crafty by nature and for others doing paper crafts was totally new.  They seemed to enjoy the creative outlet.  They have a lot of rules and guidelines (to be expected) so many of them enjoyed doing something different than the card design as a way of expressing themselves.  Katie told them 'you can do whatever you want' with the card.  They seemed to really like that.

They want us to come back so we are hoping to go back and do Valentine's cards with them.  Next time we'll keep it simpler.  They seemed to like coloring the best and having more choices, so we'll do that.

It was tiring.  We did a lot of pre-work (2 hours on Sunday cutting, cutting and more cutting) and not having been there before I was anxious all week for the event, but I think it was worth it.  I prayed before we went in that we would be 'the hands and feet of Jesus' and show some love to these ladies.    As I reflect on the evening I can't help but think of how I would handle it if I lived there.  Some of the ladies were my age and it's hard to imagine losing relationships and possessions to an addiction and having to rebuild a life from scratch.  I will continue to pray for these ladies (all of them) that they are successful at breaking those addictive bonds and really can start anew.

So before I go, let me share some of the cards I've been making.  This one was sent to my brother in Maine.  He turned 20 on Monday.  Happy Birthday Chris.

Next is a baby card for a woman at work who is expecting in January.

This next card below is a fun Christmas Card that uses the Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge.

I had fun using my October Afternoon Christmas papers with my Denami winter set.  And using the same paper pack, below is another card using my Memory Box dog sled card and die.  So darn sweet and doesn't that gingham paper make an awesome paper pieced jacket on our girl?

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  Have a great day.


2 comments:

Karen said...

Love the red-checked jacket and that whole card - it's adorable! By the way, which stamp did you get for Christmas?

It's exciting to hear how you have brought some TLC to the ladies at Serenity House. My life has been deeply touched by knowing you and I'm sure these ladies felt your love, too. I thank God for blessing me with your friendship.

Kristen said...

perfect cards for the recipients you described!

Visiting from Mojo Monday Challenge
xo, Kristina
Love for you to visit me too <3
www.pearlgateway.com