Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's new in the empty nest

Hi friends,

Today's card features a fun snowman image from Taylored Expressions 'the cool crowd.'  These images are fun and easy to work with.  They do get some coloring - blues for the shading and various colors for the snowman's accessories, but the coloring is quick and easy.
I figured it's been a while since I did a 'what's new in the empty nest' post, although I have blogged a lot about the family over the holidays.

So what IS new in the empty nest?  Well, the main thing that is new is that Bob and I are turning our beautiful and comfortable home into a marketable property for a new family to see, fall in love with and settle into.  We have sold a number of houses and for me, it is easiest to disengage from the 'home' several weeks before it officially goes on the market.  By disengage I mean, I no longer consider the house my home, with everything set up just the way I like it.  Instead I mentally disengage from the home aspect and try to think of it like a rental, a place where I'm staying for a while AND then clean it and set it up as a product I want to sell.  This week, and coming weekend, Bob and I will be busy painting.  I intend to paint the trim in Eric's room on Wednesday and finish boxing up his books, trophies and personal items.  Then I'll decorate his room like a model home, putting his younger boy items on the shelves and walls.   Bob will get to painting Sarah's room Saturday and I'll do a similar thing in her room Sunday.  My plan is to completely finish one room per week.   If we are able to do that we should be ready for the open house on February 24th.

Let's see, what else is new in the nest?  Well, sadly I gained 4 pounds over the holidays.  It was very easy to do.  Weight Watchers talks a lot about how our environment influences our eating and I am a big time victim of a poor environment.  As soon as Eric came home there were snacks and sweets in the house.  So for 3-4 weeks we had all kinds of tempting foods in the pantry and I wound up eating all kinds of foods I hadn't been in the habit of eating - like chips and brownies!  Last week I tossed a bunch of things out and now the house is much more weight watchers friendly.  Now I just have to get my portions under control, start using a tracker to keep track of what I eat and hopefully within a a few weeks be back at my goal weight again.  A huge priority for my life in 2013 is to keep the weight I lost off. 

Another priority is to help my daughter as she considers big life-time decisions as a young adult.  She is going to be 24 this year and when her peace corp service ends in November/December she will be making key decisions about her boyfriend, her career and where she wants to start her life.  She is very smart and very wise.  She is also really looking for my input in these areas so I'm trying to be available to her when she can talk or skype to help her gain confidence and offer her wisdom into her situations. 

Bob and I listened to a podcast sermon by Andy Stanley on our way home from the out of town Christmas party this past weekend and the scripture used was from Nehemiah. "I am engaged in a great work, so I can't come. Why should I stop working to come and meet with you?"  Nehemiah 6:3.  Andy challenged us to consider what is the great work I am called to do this year?  How can I build boundaries in my life to ensure that less important things don't get in the way of the great work.  For 2013 I consider my great work to be loving and supporting my family (Bob, Sarah and Eric) and ensuring that I develop life-long healthy habits including weight maintenance.

What about you?  Do you have a great work you are called to do in 2013?  How will you guard your time and attention to make sure nothing distracts you from that great work?

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  Have a great day!

1 comment:

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Very sweet, Linda! Love the polka dotted paper! The embossing is wonderful too! Great design! :D