Sunday, January 13, 2013

Wonderful Washi (tape that is...)

Hi friends,

Are you here for the DeNami Blog Hop?  Welcome. Thanks for visiting and as you probably know, if you leave a comment, you may win a gift certificate.  Good luck in the drawing.  I have never had someone win from my blog yet, so I am very over-due.  Maybe January is your lucky month!

The challenge this month is to make a card using Washi tape.  I had a business trip that took me to Japan last spring and I found a cool store called Tokyu Hands in Tokyo (yes I spent hours in the store, yes I bought lots of cute things.)  It is a fun store for 'do it yourselfers of all types'  They have locations in Japan and Taiwan, so if you are ever there check it out.  You can also get the same beautiful washi tapes from Denami, but without the long flight and expense.  But, if you find yourself in Japan or Taiwan, check it out.  It is superfun.  It is all merchandised beautifully and they had a huge selection of papercrafting supplies including copic markers, stamps and YES - lots of Washi Tape.  So, like many of you, I bought a bunch of pretty rolls of washi tape and then allowed them to sit unused for months.  I mean, what do you do with washi tape?  Well, from seeing the inspiration of others I decided to get out the Japanese Washi Tape and make a card.  I liked it so much, I made TWO. 

And since I figured you guys are probably wondering how to use Washi tape also I figured I'd give you a little information about HOW I used the washi tape on my cards.

So, first up is a fun purple card.  Here I used the washi tape in two ways.  First I snipped the edges off and made my washi tape into varying length banners.  Super easy and super cute.  I added the ice skates from my DeNami collection for a fun winter themed card.

I also wanted to add another pop of washi tape color and pattern to my card so instead of putting a button on my ribbon bow, I made a Washi Tape thingamabob to adhere to the bow.

To make the thingamabob, I put some tape on my card stock and used my circle punch to get this fun small circle.
Easy Peasy and I think this little extra detail pulls the card together a bit more.  Sure, I could have left it out, but I was challenging myself to be creative with my Washi Tape.

Okay, next up is another washi tape card - this one is pretty in pink.
  
For this card, I put three rows of washi tape together to provide a background and then paper pieced my washi tape on my stamped images.  To do this, put your washi tape on scrap card stock.  Then stamp your image twice. First stamp it on white card stock.  I cut my images out with the circle punch.    Then stamp your image (or images) a second time on the Washi/Card Stock.  Cut out the image (here I just cut out the bottom mittens and top of the hat) and adhere your Washi image onto your stamped image allowing some areas of your image to remain white.  Of course I added some glitter to the mittens and hat, added some twine and a circle sentiment and VOILA - a fun washi tape winter card.

 


So, see using Washi Tape isn't hard at all.  It's just coming up with the idea that's challenging.  Also, in the above card I put my washi tape on WHITE card stock but then allowed part of it to hang over.  Then when I adhered that layer onto my pinks, the washi overlapped partly on pink.  It makes a nice effect of varying color.

If you are following the 'hop' your next stop is Kanani Kawamura

 http://www.joykanani.com/

Don't forget to leave a comment before you go to be eligible to win!  Thanks for visiting and have a great day.

43 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Super cute and fun Linda! I bet they did have a lot of choices in Japan! Washi is so fun to work with and addicting once you get started!

Tina M said...

Ohh Linda, both cards are just darling. Thinking the second one is my fave though...pink and glitter just makes me giddy ;)

Sounds like you had a good time at that little store. I would have been shipping things back home like a mad woman, lol!

Deb said...

Linda, I love how creative you were with your washi tape! I have never thought of punching it out. So clever!

Donna Bowman said...

Awesome cards! Love how you used those pretty tapes!

Sarina Coffin said...

I love you cards!! The pink and green together look awesome! Thanks for the great ideas! :)

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wonderfully done, Linda! I still need to get myself some Washi tape and you have certainly inspired me to do so! Both cards are simply delightful! Thanks for the instruction and ideas! :D

Kelly Massman said...

i love your ideas! top card so pretty and the other so cute!

Christine Zani said...

super super cute - love both cards!

Lisa said...

Okay now I want to go to Japan! Sounds like a fun store Linda. Your cards are delightful~I love those little skates and mittens in this set. Your fussy cut mittens and hat are too CUTE!!!

Julie Steed said...

That is some seriously fancy washi tape you used. Great cards!

CraftySarcasm said...

Great cards! I love the banners you created from the tape on the first card. The chevrons and colors on the second one are fabulous. dbonczek@comcast.net

Linda said...

Great ideas! Both cards are full of detail and color! Nice! Really like the bow on the first card!

Heidi H said...

Two cards! Twice as much cuteness. Both are pretty, and I never would have thought of using washi tape to accent a ribbon. Neat!

PBrown9624 said...

Great. Ideas! Love the look of banners with the Washi!

Amy Smidebush said...

Oh, my goodness! These are sooooo awesome! LOOOOOVE that flower washi tape on your first card and how you made the banners! GENIUS! Love all the washi piecing on the second! SO CUTE!

wrapknot said...

love the skate card! the color just pop. the background styling is awesome. you did that on my holiday card and i love it! forgot to ask how you did it, maybee we can have a stampfest on gno.

Diana Fernandez said...

Very very cute! I love both of those tapes!

Patty B said...

Such festive cards and wonderful use of washi1!!

Patty
Crafty_kitten at mac dot com

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I ADORE that pink card - oh yes...I do....LOVE IT!

Sue D said...

Great ways to use washi tape--I like your thingamabob.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

so pretty! I love the idea of using punches to get a specific shape but with the same design.

Amy McCue said...

What a happy card!

Christy Q @ SchnauzerCrafts Creations said...

Love the winter card and the chevron pattern you created with your tapes. So cool!

Gayle said...

Love both your cards. The banners and that gorgeous pink chevron...love them.

Wendy said...

Awesome cards! Love the stamps you chose to use - perfect for this wintery season.

andrea said...

WOW! All the work, all the details! This is terrific! Well done!

Ruza Rebel said...

Gorgeous cards! Really love the first one!! TFS!

Karen said...

That is such pretty tapea nd the card you designed is so cute!

Sue said...

Thanks for the tips on how to get the tape on the stamped image! Love the card-very cute!

Tracey McNeely said...

Linda I love your projects using those fabby tapes.

Lezerlie said...

Love the banners! That is one of my current elements that I enjoy using on my cards. Great job!

Kimberly said...

Super Cute! I love what you did with the Washi Tape! Thanks so much for sharing your great creations!

Kathy W said...

Great cards. I like that they are fun winter cards and the background actually makes the stamps stand out. Great designs!

HMstyl' said...

this is so cute!
thank's

mommyabbytommy said...

I lOVE both of those cards! I especially love the purple tape card. It's so bold!

Lisa Petrella said...

Linda, these cards are soooo TOTALLY CUTE!!! I especially LOVE your washi tape "thingamabob" and the washi-pieced winter accessories!!!! SUPER FUN! And so cool to hear about your trip to Japan!! What an adventure that must have been!

Emily Keaton said...

I love both of these sweet projects, Linda! Very colorful and lots of fun :-)

Lauren Taylor (readysetLove) said...

Very cute! I like the different lengths on the first card.
Lauren

Dana said...

Linda! Oh my word you lucky girl! Your washi tape patterns are so cool and you purchased it in Japan too!
I LOVE that first card. Love love love it.

Barb said...

The washi piecing is perfect and something I wouldn't think to try. I love your designs...both cards are lovely! The little details are perfect :)

Ruth G said...

I love the colors and patterns of the tapes you used and your card designs are fabulous! TFS!

Lucy Newton said...

Fun cards!!!

Stacy said...

I really enjoy the first card. It is a gorgeous layout using the washi. And the pink card has a lot of pizzaz! If I am ever in Japan, I will check out that store.